SAU Community

Rb20Det Into R33

Hey guys, before you flame the absolute shit out of me, I bought an rb20det really cheap and its much easier to find an r33 shell for a better price than an r32. i would go r32 if i could afford it.

anyway, as the title states im putting an rb20det into an r33, this includes the rb20 box aswell, besides the loom will i need to change anything else? i read on here that if you put an rb25 and box into an r32 you need to shorten the tailshaft, would this be the opposite with an r33? thanks in advance for any help, please don't bother flaming i don't really care that you don't agree with what im doing.

I won't flame you. I would just like to be the first to point out how retarded that is.

It won't be legal either.

Haha yeah good one post an opinion after i just said i don't care about them, yeah you're so funny and your epenis is huge, good job champ keep up the funny work!! I don't care that it's illegal, i can get roadworthies and without a coilpack cover most cops couldn't tell the difference anyway.

You didn't say you didn't care about opinions. You didn't want to be flamed because you know it's a retarded idea.

I'm just happy to point out the obvious.

Aside from the legalities, putting in an older smaller engine is retarded. Does that help?

Otherwise do it. Report back.

You didn't say you didn't care about opinions. You didn't want to be flamed because you know it's a retarded idea.

I'm just happy to point out the obvious.

Aside from the legalities, putting in an older smaller engine is retarded. Does that help?

Otherwise do it. Report back.

"I don't care if you don't agree with what im doing" do you understand or do you need it explained a little better?

I'm pretty well aware that there are better options, these options also cost much more. It's clearly nothing special, im not going to race every other skyline and wonder why i loose, i want something thats a bit of cheap fun. and doing this is by far the cheapest option, rb20s still go hard, i also have access to several turbo upgrades which would make up for the engine size. It's cool that you think its retarded, i don't care please stop commenting on this thread, i asked for help on what i need to modify, not your opinion.

K. Good luck man. I assume you are using the inferior rb20 box as well? As using the stronger r33 box would actually fit (it comes in the car) and be stronger.

Sounds rad. I've changed my mind. Now you've mentioned a different turbo a laggy rb20 in a boat would rule.

And Its not my opinion. It's fact. I didn't dream it up.

If i read someones post and it said "before you flame the absolute shit out of me" I would guess that said person already knows what their doing isn't the way everyone else is going. Like i already f**king know rb25s are better, i know 25 boxes are stronger, for the 3rd time I'm doing this because its cheap, if you don't like it dont reply to the thread holy f**k. is it really that hard?

No engine transplant is cheap.

Do it properly or don't do it at all. New hoses, new timing belt, new water pump, new oil seals (especially oil seals on an old drippy RB20!!!). New thermostat, etc etc. Then the wiring changes. Then the tailshaft modifications. Working out whether to use the new or old (or the opposite way around for you) power steering pump, air-con compressor, alternator (all of which have different connections to teh car between R32 and R33). Then finding the right transmission mount. Then the problem of the speedo drive.

The core cost of the engine is not as significant as you'd think.

I did a Neo transplant into R32. I did everything properly. It cost several times the cost of the engine.

But if you want to set sail in the failboat, go right ahead. The last time I saw anyone put an RB20DET into an R33 was an R33 GTS (no T) and it was LAST CENTURY....when it almost made sense.

No engine transplant is cheap.

Do it properly or don't do it at all. New hoses, new timing belt, new water pump, new oil seals (especially oil seals on an old drippy RB20!!!). New thermostat, etc etc. Then the wiring changes. Then the tailshaft modifications. Working out whether to use the new or old (or the opposite way around for you) power steering pump, air-con compressor, alternator (all of which have different connections to teh car between R32 and R33). Then finding the right transmission mount. Then the problem of the speedo drive.

The core cost of the engine is not as significant as you'd think.

I did a Neo transplant into R32. I did everything properly. It cost several times the cost of the engine.

But if you want to set sail in the failboat, go right ahead. The last time I saw anyone put an RB20DET into an R33 was an R33 GTS (no T) and it was LAST CENTURY....when it almost made sense.

Thanks for the reply, although cost of doing that stuff to someone like you may be major for me it is not, Im a metal fabricator by trade and have heaps of experience in the auto electrics field. The rb came with a new timing belt, starter, hoses and altenator. Speedo will be an easy fix. I can do all the mounts and modification work myself I also have several family members that are mechanics. So almost everything you listed will be extremely cheap in my situation. Where as the outright cost of a 25 engine and box is not. My main question is the tail shaft and gearbox mounting. I have been told by many people that 25 And 20 boxes are interchangeable if that's not the case I would love for someone to correct me. And the tail shaft, I was also told a non turbo r33 tail shaft would fit a 20 box but again if that's not true someone should correct me, I just want to know if there's a tail shaft shortcut or will I have to extend it myself. Thanks in advance

How about if I told you that my brother-in-law is a mechanic, that I did almost all the transplant labour myself, had access to a large pile of swappable transmission mounts, wiring loom bits etc etc?

Not so clear cut now is it?

What I told you is the truth. Believe it or not. Take our advice or not.

Yes the gearboxes are compatible. Pretty much every RB box bolts up to every other RB. But the RB20 box is weak. I destroyed the input shaft bearings on one with a mostly stock (bolt ons and some boost) RB20. That was after destroying the previous auto in it with the same power. I would never try to make more power in any Skyline these days without a 25 box behind the engine, regardless of the (turbo, obviously) engine type.

Several times the cost of the engine? A cheap Neo and box combo would be about 2.5g yeah? Explain to me how you spent over 5 grand purely on conversion costs? This doesn't include parts not needed for a conversion btw lol. Tail shaft modification, mounts, looms etc etc, over 5 grand?? "Several" so even more? Hahaha right oh wow, your brother in laws a mechanic? I also have mechanics in my family but I fail to see how you would need one if you did a conversion by yourself

Hmmmm. His workshop, his hoist, his stack of parts and looms. That's how I needed "him".

And yes. If you do stuff properly, and I don't mean cheaping out on everything, I mean buying new engine mounts, etc etc, then the costs very rapidly add up.

And no-one with half a brain buys a "cheap" Neo and box. I bought a very nice low km Neo for nearly $2k on its own. An R33 (I wouldn't use a Neo box because of the wrong clutch) box is over a grand. Then you need a flywheel (if you want to get rid of the heavy boat anchor on the original engine) possibly a clutch (although I had a good one).

So, yes, I did spend over $5k on costs. And I'm not ashamed of it.

I'm out.

friggin hell there is some retards on here. The dude quite clearly says he is aware of it not being the best option, and explains why he is doing it, to get a cheap car going. But no, everyone has to run him down and rubbish his ideas, cause it's not what 'they' would do. F&*ktards.

If you have any info to help him, post it. Otherwise STFU and quit being keyboard warriors.

• Like 1