SAU Community

98 Pump V E85 Pros And Cons For A Dd

Nismo 3.2ish

if that set up doesn't see 'full boost' by 5k ill rip my own teeth out

Hi Joey, I am on full boost now at 5k ish, if I am not on full boost by 4k with the stroker and a much better response from idle I will give myself an uppercut for wasting my $$$$$$$s

using 98 Pump and E85 on the same psi what would the difference in KWs be, say your car is 400awkw on pump@20psi.

Maybe I interpreted it wrong but I thought it would be about 10%, so 400 on 98 pump = 440awkw on E85 @ the same psi? But as you know I am only guessing and it is an uneducated guess :)

From what I have read on E85 I would expect better low response to mid range.

To me it does,

If I were going to pull the head off and have it relieved for bigger cams etc I'd have someone spend a few hours on the ports

Hi Zebra

The head will have a bit of work at the same time they do the head relief for the cams, not a full race job, + o/s Valves. Also using better quality valve springs and retainers.

Just hoping with the different ramp rate of the UE cams, o/s valves, cleaning the head up and "maybe" a larger back turbo housing, if he thinks it needs changing and hope it will all work together to give me the low/middle response I want??

I am sure it will be more than enough to put a :) on my rough head :) :)

PT6262 + 260 10.8 cams + 3.2L bottom end + e85 you will see some good power levels, with a good tune i recon you will see full boost by easy 5k and i recon you will make easy 400kw on about 20-22psi

is your turbo twin scroll?

why dont you run eflex, you can run 98 when ever you want and if you feel like putting in E85 you just do it :)

off topic sorry but.....who built your bottom end? fully forged? can you pm me some details or if your happy to share on here thats cool :)

My car is on full boost now at 5k ish , it is @ 345awkw and the motor has forged pistons etc, with only 4000 Klms on the motor and I guess I will be trying to flog it after the build

Turbo not tin scroll, PT6262 CEA B

I have the R34GTR Haltech Platinum Pro ECU and will be adding the Haltech Flex Fuel Sensor , if I got it right, they can be tuned to use both fuels and different % of each fuel as the sensor will detect it and the computers do the rest to tune it in, I guess.

CRD is doing the work, RB30 / Nitto 3.2 Stroker Kit and all the bits that go together to make it a strong unit, cannot wait to get it back :(

Put on the Dyno Graph for the car as it is, pretty good response and on boost early but I want more :)

post-52098-0-66350100-1413151790_thumb.gif

A larger turbine housing (or back housing as you put it) will be to the detriment of response and midrange.

That's not what you want.

He said it would be something to look at after the build, I do not know why, it was just something he mentioned. I guess if it starting too spool to early (Mmmmm :) ) it is an option, I really do not know and will ask the next time I speak to him??

This comment was made the first time I told him I wanted the stroker build and wanted to keep the PT6262 , I think now he is sure of what I want from the car it will not be an option, BUT ??

It won't spool too early. That's always determined by the throttle.

You've spent a tonne of cash in the chase of response and are now worried about it spooling too early ;)

Hi Ben

^ ^ ^

Haha, I think you missed the "Mmmmmm :) "in that post

^ ^ ^ ^

I was just saying that could be in his mind and for me " it is not an option " I want the car to go from the start.

My car starts to spool at 2800 rpm now and I figure after the build it could be 700 to 1000rpm under that plus the extra torque from the stroker and stuff should help :wub:

BUT I do not know, I just have to wait and go from there :cheers:

I'd be expecting your new setup to be at wastegate regulated boost by 3500 at the latest. Also the bigger displacement will have it making positive manifold pressure below 2000, so it will feel like a large naturally aspirated engine below 4000 with a very smooth power delivery curve. This is basically what I see with the 900hp 6466 precision on a 3.4lt.

I'd stay clear of E85 for the moment and see how you like it with 98 octane instead.

hey dude just to give you an idea

you can see my setup in my signature but

317kw @ 20psi on 98

315kw @ 15psi on E85

388kw @ 20psi on E85

so you can see the difference. hope this helps OP

thanks for the comparison , that is what I was searching for :thumbsup:

I'd be expecting your new setup to be at wastegate regulated boost by 3500 at the latest. Also the bigger displacement will have it making positive manifold pressure below 2000, so it will feel like a large naturally aspirated engine below 4000 with a very smooth power delivery curve. This is basically what I see with the 900hp 6466 precision on a 3.4lt.

I'd stay clear of E85 for the moment and see how you like it with 98 octane instead.

Thanks for that. I am hoping for that type of result and I feel sure it will be a different car to drive.

Even the Coppermix twin should make life a little easier on steep hill starts and stuck peak hour traffic for an hour or more with the OS Quad :ban:

I do not have the e85 where I live, just thought I would have the option to use it if I want. So it will be tuned with the flex fuel sensor so I can use it or mixtures of 98 Pump and E85 :)

You have paid for the sensor anyway. Tune it and use E85 when the opportunity arises.

You will hate going back to 98 after feeling what E85 does to how the engine behaves.

has anyone else got direct comparisons

98 Pump @ the same psi as E85

^

The only one I have seen was from Kaneryan looks about 20% more KWs @ 20psi , does it remain the same % on lower and higher psi, or does the E85 work better as the psi is turned up ?

Is there a point where 98 Pump just cannot keep going?

You need to run a lot of boost to see the same power figures on 98.

When you think about it E85 is seeing the same power figure as 98 is with 5 psi less!

So why not run e85 you can get more power out of the engine with less boost. Have a search there is plenty of comparisons on here from people going from 98-e85 best bet would be check the dyno graph section in the forums

You need to run a lot of boost to see the same power figures on 98.

When you think about it E85 is seeing the same power figure as 98 is with 5 psi less!

So why not run e85 you can get more power out of the engine with less boost. Have a search there is plenty of comparisons on here from people going from 98-e85 best bet would be check the dyno graph section in the forums

That was the problem, they just about always show a lower psi for the E85 for the comparison, I was just interested in seeing the same psi for both fuels.

I will go back and see what I can find,thanks

Kane don't forget you had cams as well with e85.

Mine was 320kw@ 20 psi 98

340kw@ 20 psi e85

Midrange improved greatly.

That is about 6% , what gear? would be interesting if the psi was turned up a bit. Did you notice better low end response as well as mid range?

Kane are they different cams before the E85 graph? great result with the new cams :)

Wanted the comparison on the same motor same tuner if possible and would like to see what happens with lower and higher psi comparisons :)

Every tune is different, and most tuners won't put the timing into an e85 tune, because the power is usually shooting up by that stage and they don't want to damage your engine. Why don't you speak to the guy doing the tune, as he would have a better idea of how hard he is willing to lean on it...

From my experience you are looking at around a 15-20% gain on ethanol, possibly more if the tuner is willing to lean on the timing. Doing so will cause exponentially high cylinder pressure, which can easily lift heads and crack blocks. If you want more power I would be simply leaning on the turbo harder before running more timing.

There is very little difference in response from my testing, but the midrange will certainly improve. All in all a great way of making extra power with more protection, by simply filling at a different pump, why wouldn't you run it...