SAU Community

Rear Main Seal Change With Clutch?

Cowboy1600

So I'm getting ready to put a new clutch in the Stag, should I do the rear main seal at the same time? I generally do do them while the box is off but I know some cars are prone to leaking if you disturb the RMS..

It's not currently a problem, ie. not leaking/weeping. Should I apply the "if it ain't broke" principal or are RBs not known for being a PITA to get the rear main seal back in properly?

Replacing the RMS with a clutch is a matter of process for me generally, I just know that some cars can be notorious for never being able to get the seal to stop weeping once it's been disturbed.

Unless someone tells me otherwise, I'll assume RBs are not in this category so I'll do the rear main seal while the box is off.

Cheers.

Generally the drama is where the old seal was it will have put a groove into the crank. If you put the new seal in just the wrong spot or a tiny bit off centre it will be over the groove and possibly leak.

There's two ways to avoid it. Firstly put the new seal in shallower by a mm as in don't insert it into the rear main housing as far. This will keep the sealing lip away from the groove.

Secondly you can put a "speedy sleeve" on the crank which is a thin sliver of metal that presses over the seal face and gives a brand new fresh surface to seal on.

Either way will work fine.

$20? Is that fair?

Sounds fair to me. PM me some bank details and I'll transfer the moolah.

Also I assume all RB RMSs are the same? I've done some googling and it certainly appears that way.