SAU Community

Help Rear Brakes Won't Work After Bleeding

Hi, i have recently installed a 5 stud conversion on my r32. I am at the stage where i cannot seem to get the rear brakes to clamp the rotor!

all the gear off a r32 gtst including

-brake booster

-bm44 MC-

-4 pot 5 stir up front

-2 pot 5 stud down rear

I have alson installed some g tech brake lines.

After bench bleeding the MC for all extraction of air, all outlets flowed nicely.

Installing the MC onto the booster and connecting the brake hard lines i then start form the rear passenger brake.
Using the 2 man bleeding method (open bleeder, brake pedal down. Close bleeder brake pedal up) and repeating this method until a clear, air free stream. Going around all 4 callipers at least 5 times.

After this the pedal feel was completely soft 2 thirds (2/3) of the way down then you would hear a clonck and symoltaniously the pedal will become hard. This also happens when the rear calliper bleeder is open, opposed to when bleed ing the front calliper when the bleeder is open the pedal goes str8 to the floor.
After taking it up the street I found out only the front brakes were working. (when the car is on the same pedal feel present 2/3's down nothing then the front brakes engage).

After being thoroughly confused i took the calliper off the knuckle and getting some one to depress the pedal i saw the brake pads close after the 2nd or third press of the pedal, Which i would presume after the 1st pump making pressure then the brake pads would move, so I'm thinking this eliminates the calliper being seized. So it must mean there is air somewhere in the system.

So here are my questions.
WTF is going on???
Could there be air trapped somewhere in the callipers? or the hard lines?

Is the MC f**ked?
How man bleeds or amount of brake does it take to completely get all the air out and get a nice pedal feel?

HELP please,

Seems like you do indeed have air in the brake likes that run to the rear, when you changed the MC air tends to get into the steel pipe that goes into the MC and will take quite a bit to move all that trapped air all the way down the lines into the caliber and out the bleeder, I would suggest to re bleed the rear brakes some more and see if it comes good

You didn't inadvertently install the calipers upside down did you? As in, fitting the left side caliper to the right and the right side caliper to the left. This would put the bleed nipple at the bottom of the caliper instead of at the top. And make it impossible to get all the air out of the system. It's an easy enough mistake to make.

• Like 3

You legend! the nipples are at the bottom right now, i will flip them, bleed them again and let you know. Giving that you said it is a simple mistake to make that sounds very much like a thing that i would do and have done.

Glad I could help.

Don't worry, I've had several cars come in to the workshop with the same issue. Always after the owner had worked on the car themselves, but even by some pretty mechanically minded guys. So like I said, it's a slight oversight. Swap the calipers around and it'll be good to go.

• Like 1