SAU Community

No Start? No Problem!

Emrarrr

Hi Guys,

Seeing as when I run into a starting problem I try to get some info first, I thought I would post how I solved my no start issue for my R33 S2.

The car is great, best I have had as it rarely runs into trouble and if it does it is usually responsive to the first thing I do I love her!

Anyway, yesterday I got some fuel and went for a little drive. I turned the car off to run into the shop and when I tried to start her it was a slow start and died pretty much as the engine started. I tried a couple more times and would only keep cranking & cranking. Battery was good, got no codes from ECU, heard fuel pump prime and relay click etc. I was worried maybe fuel pump as I didn't really smell much fuel considering the cranking but that didn't end up being the case.

Narrowed it down to CAS or AFM. I had a spare CAS so I unplugged mine and undid the three bolts and removed it taking note as best as I could of the bolt position. I put the spare CAS in and it seemed to fit easier and was easier to turn and adjust. Guessed the correct position, tightened bolts and plugged in and she started first go! I was having the occasional slow start which I have put down to being the CAS now as well. For the first minute it sounded like it had a slight miss but after a run that was gone and it sounds so much better than before and starts great. I also gave my AFM a clean just in case which helped also.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone!

Here is a pic of her with her new wheels.

Emily

photo4_zps7997ff36.jpg

I hope you are going to set the timing correctly with a timing light. .....

It's extremely unlikely you got it exact. The car runing doesn't mean it's correct.

Don't risk it. Get it checked

Good point- on start up only when it has been sitting over night it will start and sort of feels like it is going to die, i don't put any throttle on and it picks up on it's own like jumps straight up to 1500rpm. Worth checking cold start valve? Want to take a look at that and clean my AAC valve :)

• Like 1

Omg after all that it was actually the fuel pump!! It broke down again haha. I was suspicious of the lack of fuel smell after cranking so decided to listen out for it priming but only the relay would click.

It was obv a fluke starting last time but I did chuck some fuel in it and banged around in the boot. I used a rubber mallet the second time around and hit near fuel pump and tank and it started!

Maybe check out your fuel pump as could be the reason you are having rough starts also. Hope this helps!