SAU Community

Hks Gt2530 Variants

I remember reading somewhere that there were a couple variants of the HKS GT2530's as well as the KAI model. I'm assuming this means HKS updated them along the way, does anyone know if this is true and if so what are the difference and how could each be identified?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

all share the same CHRA/wheels except the kai.

Housings differed like mentioned.

RB26 housings also differed mainly on exh side, early had no splitter late had a splitter on the outlet that was flush to the outlet flange. Apart from that some minor gate differences

No real power difference if your using a 1-1.5'' wastegate separator in a bellmouth

They should all be using the same cartridge and wheels 446179-21 from memory . I seem to remember the KAI version having a port shrouded compressor housing so was likely a single turbo version . The main unique part today is the 60mm 63T compressor wheel and I think it was only ever used in 2530s and one other app I can't remember .

You can turn any GT2860 with the same turbine into a 2530 if you have the original undamaged compressor wheel and housing . Swap the wheel in balance and bingo new guts .

A .

I remember reading somewhere that there were a couple variants of the HKS GT2530's as well as the KAI model. I'm assuming this means HKS updated them along the way, does anyone know if this is true and if so what are the difference and how could each be identified?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

why do you ask? perhaps if we had a bit more info on the specifics of what ur trying to find out it would help...

why do you ask? perhaps if we had a bit more info on the specifics of what ur trying to find out it would help...

I'm gathering parts for a turbo upgrade. I'll be looking for roughly a safe 320rwkw but more power down the track so I'd like to get the right turbos from now, hence why I'm looking at the 2530's. I know -7's or even -9's would be better suited to that 300+ mark but any more power later on will be maxing them out. So I guess at the moment I'm just trying to educate myself on my options.

Just get the -9s.

Sell the -9s if you ever decide to go for 400rwkw and get 2530s in 2/3/4 years (or more) and enjoy the -9s for their application for now because realistically 2530s is motor out/rebuild time anyway. So changing turbos isn't a big expense.

• Like 1

Might also depend on your demographic, i.e Sydney lots of 40/50klm zones and not much

in the way of over 80klm higher load gears, a few hundred rpm of boost threshold and

less off boost power can make driving around on bigger turbos tedious.

The opposite if you live in an area with lots of open roads or highways. I.e rural or

the US. You can get away with larger turbos since you are mostly above 80klms with

very little time spent in stop start traffic and low speed pot holed filled corners,

stupid 40klm school zones with not a single kid in sight. In this case you can go

for the -5 or 2530's and just not spend enough time off the boil to care.

End of the day, it still comes down to drivability first as the main consideration

on size, then peak power goals.

I will tell you my experience. I had a unopened motor with -5's and they were a little laggy (running 345kw atw) but on the open road they are great. In the city not to much (as above).

When I rebuilt the motor and did head work now pushing 400kw the -5's have come alive. Still running 2.6L and they are more than fun anywhere haha. I wouldn't waste money getting 2 different sets of turbos (selling one for a loss later) if you plan to rebuild. Go for a set you want to keep deal with the lag at first then benefit later when you rebuild. Less cost when you do rebuild.

Also as Jeremy Clarkson said - lag can be fun at the lights when people think they are winning then they wonder where you have gone.

Yeah I do see where you're coming from but would the -9s be that much better than the 2530s for my goal that you can justify doing it twice?

Absolutely. Turbos are the most important thing to choose. They decide everything in a set-up in a stock-ish scenario.
You are talking about $1,200 or so. So like I said if you plan on not rebuilding etc for 2 years or more - then change it out when the time comes.
I've had both -9, -5s and modified -9s... The -5s around town, hill runs, motorkhana etc as stated, are tedious on a 2.6l. -9s win for a car doing that type of work hands down.
-5s come into their own above 120km/h-150km/h+. You just gotta ask yourself how much time are you spending above that? And go from there.

Would HKS GT-SS's be an even better option?
Thanks for all the help guys

Much more research needed. The Garrett -9s and HKS GT-SS are the same turbo, just a different branding. HKS "kit" just comes with everything you need to bolt on, oh and a much higher price tag.

For my project the motor will be just one aspect in a sort of complete rebuild with suspension next and ultimately paint and interior so I think what ever set up I go for now will pretty much be it for a while (providing the motor doesn't give up). Having said that though I do miss the punch my 33 GTST used to give so maybe that little bit of lag given by the -5 will be enjoyable but I definitely don't want to have to go 120km+ whilst ringing it's nuts for the turbos to show what they've got. My best bet would be to experience most, if not all of my options first hand.