SAU Community

When Comprehensive Insurance Can Commence On Your Import.

GTR-N1

Insurance Companies - at least some of them - will insure your precious import comprehensively as it arrives in Australia.

Points to take note of are...

* Upon arriving in an Australian port, you can get your insurance company to cover the car for the usual things according to the PDS

* Since the car will take months to get through procedural matters, you may decide to insure the car at first, for fire and theft Vs full comprehensive

* You need to supply the VIN Number

* You do not need to have a Registration Number; nor would you have one (unless your plates are on order)

* You need to have proof of ownership from the agent and country that the car was exported from

* After compliancing and registration, you then need to update your insurance company with Modifications, Engine Number and Registration Number

* If your car is insured for fire and theft only, you may then upgrade to full comprehensive after registering it

Forewarned is forearmed.

If that stolen (off the docks) silver '94 R32 GTR has been already insured, a claim can be made first through the owner's insurance company and subsequently the company will claim against whoever they deem to be at fault.

Hi Terry, I think it was you that said if the car 15 years or older that NRMA has Vintage car insurance for a DD if you do not do over 90000Klms PA ?

A little off topic but cannot find the post

Edited by TT350GT

The stipulation Peter is 9000Kms (not 90,000Kms). The thread is in General Automotive where "walkoau" titled it, "NRMA Vintage Veteran and Classic Insurance". Enjoy the read!

I was scared the same thing could have happened to me when i imported the 34R. First thing i did even before the car landed on the docks was get insurance and have it in writing that it would be covered at the docks on arrival. All i had to do was provide the VIN, date of landing, show evidence with photos of the car, vessel name etc.

• Like 1

Hi Terry, I think it was you that said if the car 15 years or older that NRMA has Vintage car insurance for a DD if you do not do over 90000Klms PA ?

A little off topic but cannot find the post

its no allowed to be a daily driver, it is only for recreation use only