SAU Community

Timing Issue, I Think...r34 Rb25de

Hanzie

So ive just finished doing a head gasket and when i went to start it up it tries to kick over but it doesnt, there is a rich smell of fuel, but i think my timing is off, i was wondering how i could check it to rule it out, but the car doesnt actually run so i assume i would only be able to check the static timing, if someone could give me some instructions on how to check this i would be so grateful!! rb25de neo r34 1998

Belt was put on with all marks lined up?

Check the locator for the CAS hasnt gone (either from the cam or the CAS), if its gone, it is possible to put it on in the wrong spot. If its gone, should be able to line it up from looking at it, then install

Did you forget to plug anything in around the head? Forget any earth lugs etc?

I had it tdc and marked the CAS and belt, and placed it back on the same way, but to me it seems to be a timing issue, but I am no where near as experienced as the rest of yas, i am half and half on whether it is a timing issue, but was just wondering if there is a certain way to make sure the static timing is correct to rule it out, once it's running I will be able to do a proper setting of the timing but until it starts I'm kinda lost, i dont think I have missed any plugs or earth's or anything, i took my time doing the head gasket and made sure everything was hooked up before bolting anything on.

Pull the CAS out, plug it in and with the key on rotate it. Make sure there is fuel and spark. Will have to pull a plug out and check it is sparking, should hear the injectors

If it really smells rich, the pump is probably working fine, but have to say it - check fuel pump is priming.

If you have fuel and spark, thats half the battle one, you know the CAS is working and everything is plugged in.

You havent fouled the plugs messing around with it?

Somewhere to start from anway. Back to basics is always the best place to start.

Is it stock ECU?

Start with basics.

Pull off the cam belt top cover, rotate the crank to TDC on the balancer and check the cam wheel dots against their corresponding marks on the back cover.

If they're a mile out, rotate the crank another rev and then see how things line up.

(There's no need to mark the belt, Mr Nissan kindly provided timing marks)

Once you've proven the cam timing is correct, assemble the cover and fit the CAS centrally in its adjustment slots.

Kick her up and then check static timing with the timing light.

If the cam timing is incorrect, you've got some work to re-do.

• 4 weeks later...

So i finally got the time to go out and check the CAS and timing, the CAS was working thanks to 89CAL checking suggestions, But my timing is out an something awful, and im assuming that the camshaft being out by 3 teeth would have caused bent valves? I have attached pictures to show the timing. how would i go about aligning the marks up properly? and is there a way to check if the valves are bent without taking everything apart? IMG_20150208_153136_zpsnl1qxm5g.jpgIMG_20150208_153113_zpsbzcxojxs.jpgIMG_20150208_153255_zpsarsi0wcm.jpg

I win.

Take bely off. Put belt back on with gears in correct spots..

Valves will probably be OK. Can leak down it compression test but I would just hope for the best and fix the cam timing.

i have to say you had a great call!! Thanks a tonne!
Could i also get some advice on how to do that? or could i just take it off the two top gears and rotate them to align with the marks and put the belt back on? or would it be a timing belt change pretty much?

i have to say you had a great call!! Thanks a tonne!

Could i also get some advice on how to do that? or could i just take it off the two top gears and rotate them to align with the marks and put the belt back on? or would it be a timing belt change pretty much?

Its pretty much the same process as timing belt change, without actually changing the belt though.

To get to the tensioner you need to pull the balancer off unfortunately. I really don't think you could do it without backing off the belt tension.

I've only done timing belts on commodores in the past, and with the lack of information google offers, i cant find any advice on how to realign the cams, every site says put it tdc and they should be aligned, so while doing the timing belt, how to I realign the cams?

• 2 years later...

Bumping an old thread

I've just been fixing something which required the removal of the timing belt. Bought a new belt and lined up all three marks. Did cycles of barring to check and make sure they all lined up.

I marked the CAS before removing it. Recently painted it anyway so its quite obvious where it was mounted on the slots.

My issue now is that the car is cranking over but will not start. I've spinned the CAS while the ignition was on. I can hear the injectors ticking over and the fuel pump priming.

To add to the issue the car is tuned. So if I was to set the timing again to a base timing. Would I lose the tune? Any pointers would be helpful. Ive done a timing belt change before. Not sure what's happened this time around.

It should still start as long as it is 'around about' in the same spot. First things first, I would check the keyway in the CAS is still there. If this is gone then you can be out easily by putting the CAS back on with the shaft a tooth or more out.

If this is O.K then check anything else you have pulled off. Have you left the ignitor unplugged? Something silly like that.

Have you pulled a plug to confirm you are getting spark?

I was fixing leaky cam seals. So before removing the timing belt I made sure the engine was in TDC. Did this by removing the plug on cylinder #1. Put a screw driver in and barred it to TDC. I'm not sure if that messed it up in any way or form. I'll disconnect my battery disconnect and reconnect everything even though I've only touched the CAS plug.

I have a feeling it's something silly