SAU Community

Thinking of buying an R33

Hi, this is my first time posting here. I would first of all like to say that Im pretty much a total noob, and that I just like to get in the car and drive it without thinking too much about fiddling with the mechanical parts or anything.

Im after the R33 because it apparently has more interior room than the R32. I'll probably be wanting one with an automatic transmission because Im lazy (and I haven't driven a manual before). Im looking at getting a new car next year, so I have plenty of time to do some research.

Some main questions I would like to ask:

- How hard is it to maintain this car? Is there any extra care that I need to take in regards to the turbo?

- What is the fuel economy like? Is it better than or about the same as the Falcon/Commodore V8s? Can you use regular unleaded or do you need to use premium?

- Is it easy to fit new stereo systems in? If I got someplace to do it for me, would they know what to do or would they need instructions first?

- Are they fitted with an alarm and/or immobiliser or do I need to get one fitted?

- Considering that there are a lot of Skylines around, I would think there would be a lot of parts available, but do I still need to take extra precautions in this area?

I would appreciate some feedback from you guys.

- Maintenance is pretty much the same as any car its age. Regular oil changes, i do mine every 5000km but you could get away with 8000km or even 10000km if you use fully synthetic, which you should. Regular servicing, timing belt and water pump change at 100,000km intervals etc. All standard stuff.

- Fuel economy all depends on how and where you drive. Highway you will see in excess of 400km to a tank but around the city expect 300km per tank. You must use 98 octane and only resort to premium or regular unleaded if you are desperate.

- Any car audio place will have fitted 250000000 skylines before so no dramas.

- There is no factory alarm in an R33 really. Some had factory remote entry but not many. Many examples for sale in dealers will have aftermarket alarms.

- Parts are readily available but slightly more expensive than say holden parts, but theyre coming down in price. You have many options nowdays though with so many import wreckers. Nissan will also get new parts in for you.

- Parts are readily available but slightly more expensive than say holden parts

You'll find that some Skylines parts ARE Holden parts. The Skyline is perhaps one of the most conventionally configured cars out there. It should pose no problems to any competant mechanic.

T.

Hmm, that sounds good. I can't wait to get one now!! :)

Oh and one more thing I wanted to ask. How long does it take for the turbo to cool down? If the car isn't fitted with a turbo timer, then is it absolutely necessary to get one? If so, then why aren't they fitted as standard?

Hmm, that sounds good. I can't wait to get one now!!  :)  

Oh and one more thing I wanted to ask. How long does it take for the turbo to cool down? If the car isn't fitted with a turbo timer, then is it absolutely necessary to get one? If so, then why aren't they fitted as standard?

thats a grey area, some people like timers some people hate em.

it all depends how patient you are.

i have a timer and set it then get out and stand around within remote range and arm it as soon as it shuts down

if i've been driving realitively sedately i usually to cool down for about 30seconds

driving a little hard too close to home and it should be around 1-2 mins

Your turbo will cool down easy.

On a summers day after sitting on 100+km/h, it'll cool from 850-900 to 400 within 3 to 4 blocks at 50km/h, even less time in winter. If you are fanging it hard around a race strip, it might take a bit longer.

If you are only doing 50-60km/h in town, I would just turn it off like any NA car [unless its a stinking hot +40 day, then 30 seconds cool down maybe??].

I've got an exhaust gauge on mine, and turbo's cool down quick all year round except for the +40 days. If you take your time parking etc then you can consider it cooled down.

Turbo's aren't working much below 3,000rpm, and this is about [depending on gearing etc]100 to 120km/h in top, they are 'on sort of' below this, but are 'idling sort of', so they don't get as hot as if they are boosting.