SAU Community

Fuel Smell While Driving,

R32CHE94

Hey guys!

when i bought my r32 gtst with rb25de it never had a charcoal canister, the vent line was simply capped off and i also noticed when you unscrew the fuel cap it never whiffed out air like its meant to and i always had a pretty strong fuel fume smell while driving no matter what windows up/windows down didn't seem to matter.. after a while i thought i would plumb it back in, bought the canister hooked it up correctly and tested it out over the next few weeks, the smell seemed to have gone but then when the windows where down it was stronger then ever...

about a year ago i replaced the fuel pump with a walbro and replaced the fuel lines from the tank to the hard lines and when i got the car i replaced from the hard lines to the filter and then to the rail.. but it still smelt

so i did some more research and found that they have a common leak area with in the compliance fuel restrictor, i pulled that out and found that the sealant they had used had perished, i re-sealed it with sickaflex and it still smelt..

so now bassicly I'm after advice on what steps to take next.. a lot of people have said to replace the o ring above the fuel pump but I'm almost certain that is sealed correctly as you can't smell anything in the boot...

the only thing i can think of it being is the filler neck itself or the vent lines from the tank... I'm pretty much at the stage that i want to drop the tank and replace everything... if anyone has any advice or ideas please let me know and thank you in advance!

post-120683-0-94272800-1426413525_thumb.jpg

Leaky injectors ?

Does it have the PCV connected and works

Does it have a catch can and is that vented to the atmosphere

Is it just running rich. What is the AFR's

Do you smell it when its

- Idling

- Moving

- when it is off (then it's a leak)

I had the same issue with my r33 Gtst. I ended up prying out the fuel neck compliance thingy, cleaning it up and using sikaflex to create a nice new seal for it and refitting it. Now the fuel smell is gone and when I go to fill up at the servo you can hear the pssssshhh sound which would never happen before.

If that doesn't fix it then just replace the fuel pump o ring as its a cheap fix (might need replacing after you changed your fuel pump) this was the cause for my in cabin fuel smell when I had my S15.

What hose did you use when you replaced the lines? Some hoses are just prone to be stinky.

Charcoal canister hooked up correctly? When you say the vent line was capped off do you mean the vent for the fuel tank was closed/blocked off?

I'd replace the fuel pump o-ring, cheap, easy and quick to do, leave the guesswork out of it.

picking up a new oring tomorrow, ill fit it and see how i go,

yep cannister hooked up correctly as far as i can see, i compared it to a mates on
and yes the vent line coming from the tank had a bit of hose coming off with a screw in it hose clamped on

i put the car in the air last night, turned it on and got under couldn't smell or see anything...doesnt gel

I had the same issue with my r33 Gtst. I ended up prying out the fuel neck compliance thingy, cleaning it up and using sikaflex to create a nice new seal for it and refitting it. Now the fuel smell is gone and when I go to fill up at the servo you can hear the pssssshhh sound which would never happen before.

If that doesn't fix it then just replace the fuel pump o ring as its a cheap fix (might need replacing after you changed your fuel pump) this was the cause for my in cabin fuel smell when I had my S15.

most likely this.

heard of this plenty of times and usually is the filler neck leaking. Was the same on mine. I found this gives a really strong smell into the cabin as its so close to ur door.

Move your car out into the sun for a while and then when it is nice n warm go and sit in the drivers seat and look back thru ur wing mirror past the petrol filler port. you will probably see fumes coming out- I could before I fixed my filler neck.

If this doesn't fix it then look into where the lines are going to that used to be connected to the charcoal canister.

Edited by jjman

Had this exact problem with my first 32 gtst... Turned out to be a leaky injector.

Fuel smell was overwhelming in and outside of the car, windows up windows down, pretty much everything you descrubed