SAU Community

Gaskets And Silicone Gasket Products (permatex)

rayj

Hi

When using gaskets is it necessary or optional to also use a product like Permatex silicone gasket maker (Ultra Blue, Ultra Black etc.)?

For example, gaskets used in turbo or exhaust applications, as well as, gaskets exposed to coolant and oil?

I'll be doing a turbo swap and freshening up the exhaust manifold with new studs and gasket. Is it good practise to use products like this no matter how good the gaskets are?

Thanks for any info

If the sealing faces are smooth and without scratches, pitting or dents then you don't need any sealant with the gasket. This is providing you tighten the part down in the correct order to the correct torque.

Well for starters if you actually use silicone on exhaust components you need high temp stuff, which is the red stuff and I believe there is now permatex copper.

I use a product called Maniseal by CRC which is great for exhaust components and sensor safe. It's like a paste and you need to apply it on the gasket and then bolt what you want up quickly before it dries. Once the stuff gets hot then it creates a really good seal.

Paper gaskets you can use a spray for like oil drain gaskets if you want, works well just ensure it can handle some high temperatures.

As Dobz said also, if the surface is smooth etc you don't actually need any extra sealant providing you tighten the part correctly. For example the compressor outlet/inlet on the turbocharger shouldn't actually need any sealant just a gasket but needs to be correctly tightened to ensure no leaks occur.

For paper gaskets i only use a coating of Avation gasket sealer, the non hardening one like permatex.

I only use silicon where no gaskets are used.

I dont use any sealants on exhaust manifold and exhaust flanges, just fresh gaskets.

I use Hylomar on paper gaskets, as well as metal ones (turbo snout, throttle body) so I don't have to buy new ones each time I pull things apart. I wouldn't use Permatex on high-heat applications as it will ultimately char and flake away after a few cycles.