SAU Community

Car Too Firm/skittish/struggling For Grip.

I am sort of thinking I might not change much at all and will head to winton as is for back to back testing with known lap times. Then adjust dampening, then maybe disconnect some swaybar end links and see what happens.

I am also feeling like I might be asking too much from the tyres but I do recall hearing of a soarer (heavier than me) that did a flat 40 at Winton on the same tyres so I should be able to do it easily...

Just some input, high rate coilovers springs are usually a cheap alternative to setting up a total suspension (not all coilovers but most low level units). You want the wheels to move with the road surface so usually a lower spring rate with good damper adjustability, then tune the body roll with the sway bars. For settings I usually try to get as much caster as I can, higher caster negates the need for high camber angles. Too much camber and you can actually loose grip because you have less tire to road surface contact.

Most coilovers here in Japan are made to drop in quickly and cover all the jobs of the suspension components because the labor costs to install and tune suspensions is astronomical.

Additionally run the smallest rims you can with a high quality tire, super low profile tires make you give up a lot of dampening area (side wall) for no performance gain.

start your alignment at zero toe (front and back) and tweak it from there.

personally, I can't stand toe in at the rear. I find it stunts the lively rear end that the skyline has, it tries to tame it and make it stable and you either end up with something that is stable, or is substantially sideways. there is no finesse or middle ground and I think rear toe in makes it more skittish (at the limit - if you are below the limit it is more stable). a tiny bit of toe out at the rear brings it to life and it's fun to drive.