SAU Community

How To Tune? What To Look For?

Hello

A few months ago I asked for help to learn to tune. I was given some links to help me learn. I understand the basics of what tuning is now. But I want understand how to tune. What values do you look for and how do you know your car is with in safe limits. Also how do you know what your stock settings are?

I am going to buy a cheap RB 20 and learn how to build it up and tune. I have access to a shop and tools where I can work on things.

Can someone help me or point me in the right direction so I'll know what I am doing?

Yes I have researched , but can't find any info about how to tune maps, what values to look for, etc.

I am having my car tuned professionally so this is not for tuning my main car. It's for learning.

Edited by yoshiii335

Like Ben said there are entire forums dedicated for tuning. Plus it's like a job/career, its not an easy task and takes time to master, hence people paying top dollars for professionals to tune their car for them. Otherwise everyone would do it.

You'll have to spend a considerable amount of time researching on what you are doing, what to look for and then you'll have to test it out on a car and having access to a dyno or road tuning . There are a considerable amount of variables involved.

goto: www.learntotune.com purchase their basics and road tuning course plus watch through all the online tuning videos. You will have a pretty good idea of how things works before hands on experiences.

• Like 1

It is also easier to learn when you have an original base map that is setup right and you make small changes and tweaks etc to get your self comfortable with what setting does what and how the engine behaves.

Just keep in mind any real 'power' tuning needs access to knock ears and a dyno.

It is also easier to learn when you have an original base map that is setup right and you make small changes and tweaks etc to get your self comfortable with what setting does what and how the engine behaves.

Just keep in mind any real 'power' tuning needs access to knock ears and a dyno.

Thank you,

Do you know where I would usually get base maps for? Or does it come with the aftermarket computer for a particular car?

Come with aftermarket ecu.

That said, you are definitely trying to do to much at once.
Engine swap/engine rebuild and tuning with 0 prior experience and what sounds like not much knowledge.

I would be instead of asking these questions, learn taking out an engine on a dummy car, take it apart, put it back together, put it back in the car and see if it works.
Otherwise you risk screwing up a potential project because of a simple mistake, unless you have a friend that knows what there doing that can guide you through the process.

• Like 1

i found that the more you search and the more you read online puts you backwards, the only way to learn how to tune is to open the laptop and tune!

you dont find how to tune from a book, tuning will find you when you let it.