SAU Community

Looking At M35 Stageas

DrLui

Hi all

Im in the process of selling my current car and getting into a Stagea, the thing that i would like to know are what things should i be looking out for.

-What kms are the major services? If a major service is due what is entailed, as the VQ25DET have a timing chain.

-What are common faults? I have done a bit of research and found that they can develop an oil leak from the rear of the right bank and the turbo should have been replaced at the 100,000km mark.

-What is the life of the VQ25DET? There are a few cars available now and they have a large range of km/s on the clock ranging from 80,000km - 190,000km

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

The engine is good, as is the turbo. I have seen stock turbo's with 250,000 on them so don't believe the hype. If they haven't been serviced properly the turbo will fail early so check in the oil cap with a torch.

Obviously the lower K examples would be the pick, but you have no way of knowing the K's are legit. Check anything you buy on a hoist, as all the issues are underneath. Make sure you look at the following:

Cracks in the rear subframe (no big deal but you will need to get the subframe dropped and re-welded)

Rear diff bush leaking black gunk (around 4 hours to replace)

Rocker cover gasket on both sides (any M35 will need this by now if they haven't been done already)

The front compression bushes(again, very common but easy to change)

Front ball joint boots cracking

Radiator top tank Oring failure

Rear sway bar end links

Most issues are from degrading rubber after 15 odd years. Any car of this age will have similar problems. If they have all been done, including highflowing the turbo, it will save you 1000's. As for servicing, I would just drop all fluids when you get the car and replace them with a good quality synthetic.

Thanks Scotty I do respect your response. I am definitely going to hit you up for a dump pipe and a few other things when I get my Stagea.

I've been looking for an ar-x, for the lsd and the other little features like the seats and pop up screen. The height is somthing I am going to fix and maybe some underbody bracing, but I need to sell my current car as I have already begun ordering parts from Japan

LSD, electric seats and pop up TV are all options you could get on the base model so don't limit your search to the tan interior ARX. I prefer the kinky black leather to the grandpa tan personally. :P

• Like 2

Don't forget tasteful beige and woodgrain RX!

As Scotty said, quality oil and regular changes, 180,000km on my stock turbo (probably jinxed myself).

I had to do rear sway bar links, front caster bushes (superpro) and a front driveshaft boot for my roadworthy.

Are you importing or buying locally? Do some hard cornering if test driving to check for front wheel bearing noise.

My front left did not get picked up during roadworthy (costs $250 each from Nissan).

Bose stereo is a DOG and can affect the ac controls and drain the battery.

Pop up TV satnav is no good in Aus, costs $250 for engrish conversion and needs aftermarket tuner.

Good hunting!

• Like 1

I'm also in the market but I need big boot space, does anyone have the full dimensions of the car? I'm looking for distances:
from dash to boot
centre console to boot (seats flat)

seat back to boot

between wheel arches

between opening at the base (from the top of the corner)
widest width of the boot
height at opening

max height of the boot.

A Big ask, I know, but I've searched everywhere and there's not a lot of info about at all.

Also has anyone tried raising the ARX to get more clearance? I'm really after a soft-roader that can be driven well as a daily, get its feet wet in mild conditions, pack a decent load and tow on the very odd occasion. There's really only three cars that meet the criteria, the Territory (shoot me), Adventra (povo spec car) or the ARX, everything else is too small, too much of a road car or too much of a 4x4. I've got a 4x4 and it never gets used for its purpose, it sees a bit of sand a bit of gravel and a lot of bunnings.

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

nick

Edited by nickrussel

Took a quick measure, won't be entirely accurate but close enough to give you an idea.....

Dash to Boot Door (closed): 2840mm

centre console to boot (seats flat): 2000mm

seat (rear) back to boot: 1120mm

between wheel arches: 1040mm

between opening at the base (from the top of the corner): 730mm
widest width of the boot: 1380mm
height at opening: 760mm

max height of the boot: 770mm

• Like 1

I'm also in the market but I need big boot space, does anyone have the full dimensions of the car? I'm looking for distances:

from dash to boot

centre console to boot (seats flat)

seat back to boot

between wheel arches

between opening at the base (from the top of the corner)

widest width of the boot

height at opening

max height of the boot.

A Big ask, I know, but I've searched everywhere and there's not a lot of info about at all.

Also has anyone tried raising the ARX to get more clearance? I'm really after a soft-roader that can be driven well as a daily, get its feet wet in mild conditions, pack a decent load and tow on the very odd occasion. There's really only three cars that meet the criteria, the Territory (shoot me), Adventra (povo spec car) or the ARX, everything else is too small, too much of a road car or too much of a 4x4. I've got a 4x4 and it never gets used for its purpose, it sees a bit of sand a bit of gravel and a lot of bunnings.

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

nick

Correct me if i am wrong but im not sure the M35 are rated to tow a lot, 1700kg braked from memory and there aren't many tow bars available to suit

This thread may interest you greatly: http://www.sau.com.au/forums/topic/402891-the-what-do-you-put-in-the-back-of-your-stagea-thread/

I've slept in the back of mine many times, on a 191cm x 91cm airbed, and not felt cramped.

If I move the front passenger seat forward and put the backrest vertical I can fit a 2100mm ladder in, with the boot closed.

I've managed to get a 2400 x 900 sheet of gyprock/plaster board in with the boot closed, and still been able to drive, albeit with my head crooked to one side.

I have a few rental properties so I often have to load it up with tools etc. I start with a huge pile of stuff wondering how I'm going to fit it all in and end up looking for more things to fill the gaps because there's so much space everything will fly around when I'm drifting the local gorge driving in a careful and considerate manner. I've yet to reach the point where I've run out of space.

• Like 1

Being able to fit 2400x900/1200 would be a great asset as it seems to be where most newer cars fall down.

I've read there's a few people with 2000kg tow bars and as there is no tow rating on import it's legal limit is 2600kg. Given the way some are thrashed I have no doubt in the driveline and there are lesser cars capable of towing much more. The plan is to have extended mounting points as far forward as physically possible to distribute the load evenly. If my R50 can tow a fully loaded and fuelled V35 with a full load of luggage, an inch of the bump stops from Melbourne to Perth, an M35 can take the odd trip here and there. As for the usual stopping crap, decent electric brakes solve that, I can stop the R50 and 1500kg load, with trailer brakes alone.

2400x1200 wouldn't be so successful. You might be able to angle it and have it hanging out of the boot though.

If you're planning on towing a heavy load I'd suggest finding a very, very good towbar fitter who understands the importance of mounting points. Some M35s have cracked rear subframes from towing, and some "just because". It's easy enough to fix but probably not quick to remove for welding. I fitted a towbar when I bought mine but I've only pulled around 500kg for a total of maybe 1,000km. For heavier stuff I have a Commodore.