SAU Community

How to stop your brakes squealing 101

JimX

ya i use both those shim things on each side.. my issue is on the rotor/pad side tho.

its crap cause on the fronts ive got dba 4000's with ultimates and they dont make a sound at all..

and on the rear i got rda's with ultimates and they been crap since day 2.

I don't think its the rotor issue..

My fronts never squealed it was only the rears.

The rears only squealed for a fraction of a second just before coming to a stop which was bearable.

Not what I'd consider an annoyance anyway. When I think squeal I think constant brake squeal.

This was a good 4years or so ago now so its possible they now make the pads more squealy. :(

Buy Ferodo or Racebrakes pads.

I run Ferodo's now. Nicer pad that lasts longer. I only got 20,000km's out of my Ultimates. :)

mines like a realy realy loud squeel when your slowing down. Ive got a steep driveway so you've goto use the brakes the holeway down for like 10 seconds.. stupid neighbours complained :)

ya I think I might get some diff pads.. the fronts seem to be chomping into the new rotors quite nicely like a few ppl said might happen ;)

I don't think its the rotor issue..

My fronts never squealed it was only the rears.

The rears only squealed for a fraction of a second just before coming to a stop which was bearable.

Not what I'd consider an annoyance anyway. When I think squeal I think constant brake squeal.

This was a good 4years or so ago now so its possible they now make the pads more squealy. :(

Buy Ferodo or Racebrakes pads.

I run Ferodo's now. Nicer pad that lasts longer. I only got 20,000km's out of my Ultimates. :mad:

i agree the ultimates are not kind at all to rotors, i had ultimates and brand new dba slotted rotors, after 1 year of driving my rotors are down to minimum thickness after a light machining :P

I am running DBA4000's all round with Ferodo DS2500 pads and the squeal horrendously. I am not too bothered as the originals squealed a bit so am used to it. Main thing for me was it wasnt causing damage or metal on metal. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

all the good brake pads squeel because they are eating the disks. ur pads will always squeel its just that by roughing them up u change the sound frequency so that the human ear cant hear it. my brakes squeel a bit. just say what i say. "its race."

• 1 month later...

hey all. thought id add something on how i erradicated my squealing. i changed to Ferrodo pads, all 4 discs skimmed.

i always had an issue with front Left wheel. every other wheel was sweet..

I had tried the Anti squeal CRC red gooey thing, didnt work.. so i bought these Anti squeal Adhesive Pads from BNT(New zealand) which cost like $4 for a pack of 4 and stuck them on the back of the pads(1 per wheel), then cut out the pattern.. i noticed if i stuck the pads on both the pads of a wheel then it would be too tight.. thus i only used the Adhesive pads on the inside. I then cleaned/sanded the pads, shims etc etc with degreaser and blasted with water.. let em all dry off..

THEN i applied CRC brake quiet(red goo) to the pad that DIDNT have the adhesive thing, and reassembled the brake)... Since then(2 weeks ago) it hasnt squealed a bit and the braking is soo much better..

i suggest give this a try before buying Anti Squeal shims.. otherwise it could be one of the pistons not coming out fully..