SAU Community

Help! Accidently Drilled Into My Rb25det Cylinder Head

RB036

Ok so I am removing my exhaust manifold and I have snapped a couple studs off, I used a 3.5mm drill bit to drill into the snapped studs and used an easy out to remove them, on one of the studs I drilled to deep and drilled into the head, oil then slowly leeked out. Did I drill into an oil gallery or just in the side of the head? And could I just run a 4mm tap through it and Loctite a grub screw in and then install a new stud?

No experience at it, but its worth a try. I know that some vehicles exhaust studs actually go into the oil galleries and the instructions say to use a sealant and not to screw the stud in too far cos it will hit the pushrods [ok its a diesel truck motor but the principal is the same].

Only thing I could add is to leave the thread in the hole tapered as well so that the grub screw will never ever work loose and fall into the motor. It can only fall out, not in - and it won't fall out cos the exhaust stud will be covering it.

I would just apply some sealant to the tip of the stud and screw it back on... You don't wanna sit there tapping and drilling anywhere near oil galleries unless you got some thick grease to catch the metal shavings!

Sounds like the shavings would already be in the oil gallery now, if you could see where the drill piece poked thru from above looking down the oil galleries then you could maybe poke a magnet attached to a hose down to collect them

magnet will not attract alloy shavings

Indeed

I would be a little worried about metal floating around the head right now if I was in OP's position. Head off, new gasket, peace of mind. Worth every cent