SAU Community

08 V36 Sedan Dash & Lights - Help!

Hi all,

So I finally took delivery of my 2008 V36 SP sedan with 73,000kms on the clock. Absolutely love the car but I have a few questions:

1) I have the sticky dash issue which is apparently a common issue with the G35/37 when its been left in direct sunlight. Does anyone else have this issue and if so, what are you doing to prevent it / stop it from getting worse? I am planning to get some armor all and use a sun visor when its parked outside. Any other suggestions?

2) I have the AFS light blinking on my dash and the passenger side headlight decided to turn off. I checked the back of the headlight and it looks like all cables etc are plugged in properly. Anyone had this issue and know what to look for?

Attaches some pics of it when it was still in Japan...waiting to get it detailed before I take some here :)

Thanks for the help!

post-100540-0-61469300-1449460621_thumb.jpg

post-100540-0-07478500-1449460629_thumb.jpg

post-100540-0-56645300-1449460680_thumb.jpg

Edited by froggy88

Can't help you with the sticky dash as mine seems to have survived well, though it is a 2009 model.

As for your flashing AFS, chances are it's because of the headlight modification to comply with ADRs. My advice for the moment is to switch off AFS to avoid any potential damage to the motors which move your headlights around for turning corners and dipping.

Then, check inside the headlamp assembly (from the rear, that is, so you'll need to pop the cap off, etc). Check to see if the original HID lamp fittings are still sitting inside. My guess is that they are and that's why the motors are jamming and therefore, the vehicle's smarts are switching off the system and alerting you to an issue. If you don't plan on converting them back to HID, then just drive with AFS off in case you do change your mind later on. Otherwise, do what I did and reverse the modification so that you can use those HID lamps again and enjoy a much brighter headlight system. I specifically asked my compliance workshop to ensure the modification was reversible, so hopefully the ones who complied your vehicle ensured they left enough cable behind on the ballasts to be able to reconnect to them and revert it all back to factory.

Good luck. Those headlight assemblies are a bitch to get to. :/

Can't help you with the sticky dash as mine seems to have survived well, though it is a 2009 model.

As for your flashing AFS, chances are it's because of the headlight modification to comply with ADRs. My advice for the moment is to switch off AFS to avoid any potential damage to the motors which move your headlights around for turning corners and dipping.

Then, check inside the headlamp assembly (from the rear, that is, so you'll need to pop the cap off, etc). Check to see if the original HID lamp fittings are still sitting inside. My guess is that they are and that's why the motors are jamming and therefore, the vehicle's smarts are switching off the system and alerting you to an issue. If you don't plan on converting them back to HID, then just drive with AFS off in case you do change your mind later on. Otherwise, do what I did and reverse the modification so that you can use those HID lamps again and enjoy a much brighter headlight system. I specifically asked my compliance workshop to ensure the modification was reversible, so hopefully the ones who complied your vehicle ensured they left enough cable behind on the ballasts to be able to reconnect to them and revert it all back to factory.

Good luck. Those headlight assemblies are a bitch to get to. :/

Hey thanks for your detailed post!

Is there a way to reset the system so the light turns on again? I have disabled the AFS system using the switch on the dash.

Edit: after doing some research its probably part of the bulb wiring harness thats caught somewhere. Guess ill see if I can sort it when I get home...

Edited by froggy88

So I managed to get the bulb out and from what I could see it looks like the the silver bit that plugs into the bulb (ballast plug?) is restricting movement.

As a reference i used this guide to get to the headlight. in the video @ 3:25 his silver plug is vertical, mine is horizontal.When I pulled the plug out the light had a greater range of movement than with it in.

I'm guessing this is my issue? Is there a way to "reset" the system so the headlight works again (and ill make sure AFS is disabled!).

Cheers

Edited by froggy88