SAU Community

V35 300gt Automatic Transmission Problem

Hey all, recently my 2004 V35 Skyline 300GT has been having an odd problem. It occurs randomly, but sometimes when I start my car, the transmission would be stuck on one gear no matter how fast or slow I go in attempt to have the gear changed. Other times the transmission would work perfectly on start up. However, when it is stuck on one gear, i'm assuming it is stuck on most likely 1st gear or 2nd gear since it idles at 3-3,500 revs when travelling 60 km/h. Putting it in tiptronic mode and changing gears doesn't make a difference since the gear won't change, although on the dashboard it would show it is changing gears when it obviously isn't. Whenever this happens, I usually have to pull over on the side of the road and restart the car which has always fixed the problem so far. (This has happened about 4-5 times in this past week) I am wondering, has this problem occurred with anyone else? I purchased this vehicle a week ago, and if there are major problems with the gear box then I will be taking it back to the seller to raise issues. I'm hoping that a simple transmission fluid replacement will fix the problem, as I assume that when restarting the car fixes the problem because it pumps the fluid back into the transmission. Thanks heaps for any help!

It doesn't always do this. I would say every 4th time I turn the car on this happens, and when it does happen I just restart the car and it fixes it immediately. And yeah it was a private sale. To clear any misunderstanding, it doesnt stay at 60kmph, I can travel at any speed, just that I'm unsure what gear it is and when I am traveling 60kmph it is on 3,000 revs. It just seems to be stuck in one gear unable to change when this happens.

Just sounds like the TCU is going into limp mode. It is just locking in 1 gear in order for you to be able to get home or to a mechanic.

Most likely a sensor or solenoid in the transmission is intermittent. By stopping and re-starting the car takes it out of limp mode until the TCU detects the faulty component again.

This means there should be codes stored in the TCU, which will help a transmission tech diagnose the cause of the problem.