SAU Community

I know I know Fuel consumption again

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

srb,

base model R32 GXi's had CA18s (4cyl) but i doubt many of those made it to Aus... the rest are RB's like yours :)

17L/100km is bloody huge for a GTS-t I would have thought (unless you give it stick all the time). mine gets around 12.5L/100 or so in busy traffic & around 8-9L/100km on the hwy.

Hi All,

I have a S1 R33 GTS4 (RB25DE) and mostly my driving is to and from work (bout 10k each way, in the city) in bad traffic (stop start, etc..) and quite a few small trips to the shops etc.. I also drove to my parents (25K each way on freeway @100KM/H) and back on the weekend.. I do give it a fair bit of stick ehre and there (rev it out, etc) I went to fill up yesterday after work.. and I put in 42L.. and all I got was 210KM.

Something is wrong but I don't know what.. 20L/100KM is SHOCKING.. this is a NON TURBO skyline as well...!

I think I'll run an ECU diag tonight (I think the method was in the R33 Workshop Manual PDF?) and see what happens. Is the 02 sensor included in that?

Regards,

chicane

OK, so i took my car to some brisbane mechanic who builds race cars and I saw he had several skylines in his work shop. I told him what I had done so far, Probe test, a diagnostics check, reset computer, replaced fuel neck. I told him somes guys on the internet reckon it's the o2 sensor, I said what do you think.

He says it could be a hundred things you'll have to bring it in. Grumpy bastard.

So I did and he told me it took him four years to become a mechanic. He recons were all smart asses getting info of internet. Anyway he pulled out an electrical tester and told me the O2 sensor is had it. Thank you I was greatful for that.

He said that I would then have to bring it for a tune, I said what sort of tune, he said a full tune will cost you $280. I said what would a half cost he said $180. I said just reset the computer, he said it's not a matter of disconnecting the battery then conecting it.

So I have gone and ordered an O2 sensor from nissan, cost me $170. The moral of this story??????? : :headspin: :Bang:

srb33,

tell us all how you go with the new O2 sensor.

I can't believe that we all drive these awesome cars and have such a range fuel consumption out of em!

O2 sensor eh? Interesting.

Just out of interest, are any of you the first owners of the car when it was imported - i am. I have had the car 2 months now and am trying to see if it is down to the type of compliancing done or some other factor

Rob

Hi there guys

I own a 1989 R32 4 door GTS-t (Auto)

and I too am suffering from very bad fuel economy.

The car is completely stock, with the exception of a pod filter, and driving around town im only getting 19.8L/100km. Now this figure is probably the worst that has been posted in this thread and is on par with you people that claimed of only getting 250km per tank, which is what im getting.

When I drive on the highway for 90% of the time (driving like a granny) it does get better but still only gets 14L/100km (about 370km to tank).

So far i have only tried resetting the ecu but that diddnt seem to help.

I am converting the car to a manual in the very near future, but i want to know what is causing the fuel consumption to be so lousy.

Could it be the O2 sensor? How costly and hard is this to replace?

What else could it possibly be?

Your help is appreciated

I'm going to take a punt and say that S1 R33 and earlier ECUs are having trouble adjusting to the different RON petrol we have, whereas S2 R33 and onwards is able to better adjust.

No evidence for my theory: just throwing it out there.

LW.

My skyline is S1 R33.. Currently gettting shocking fuel economy like scotty090.. Im thinking about changing the O2 Sensor on the weekend, fitting the ford item and see if that helps..

I currently have an AFM from a S2 R33, in my other thread [1] im wondering what is actually different between them, and maybe if that is causing any problems (My fuel economy has been pretty bad.. but I think it has gotten worse in the recent months.

cheers

chicane

[1] http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/sh...ead.php?t=46719

srb33,

tell us all how you go with the new O2 sensor.

I can't believe that we all drive these awesome cars and have such a range fuel consumption out of em!

O2 sensor eh?  Interesting.

Just out of interest, are any of you the first owners of the car when it was imported - i am.  I have had the car 2 months now and am trying to see if it is down to the type of compliancing done or some other factor

Rob

Rob,

I am also first Australian owner, I have had mine for under 2 months. What I find out is when my car was complied they failed to replace the petrol neck where the cap goes. I have no idea why Australian compliance rules have this, so I took it back and they replaced it for free. I was told that this might be a fuel evaporation problem.

Anyway mine is a 93 R33. I bought it with 54k, somehow I think it should be more because of the state of the steering wheel.

Anyway the mechanic did say that the computer couldn't handle modifications like BOV ect. I even asked about boost increase and he said the only way to do that is to spend $800 on some computer thingy. Anyway to increase it mechanically with T piece ect would not work well with comp. I assume that all of you have done it mechanically? So the answer might be that these mods effect computer which effects petrol consumption??? I will see how well it goes with O2 sensor. My guess is that I will never get 500km because I have exhaust system and BOV.

He said that I would then have to bring it for a tune, I said what sort of tune, he said a full tune will cost you $280. I said what would a half cost he said $180. I said just reset the computer, he said it's not a matter of disconnecting the battery then conecting it.

So I have gone and ordered an O2 sensor from nissan, cost me $170. The moral of this story??????? : :headspin:  :Bang:

Ok...ask him what exactly he's going to "tune". Cause he can't alter the a/f ratio's with the stock computer.

To reset the ECU you need to put it into diagnostics mode, turn it off, then done. The ECU has been reset. Easy. (Do a search, this has been discussed before).

You could've bought the Ford EL o2 sensor. It's a direct replacement. You just have to cut the wires and resolder them back to the original nissan plug. (This has also been discussed before).

Nissan sensor $170 approx, Ford EL o2 sensor $75 approx.....

wil..

Anyway the mechanic did say that the computer couldn't handle modifications like BOV ect.

Skyline's don't like vent to air BOV's because they use an AFM.

I even asked about boost increase and he said the only way to do that is to spend $800 on some computer thingy. Anyway to increase it mechanically with T piece ect would not work well with comp. I assume that all of you have done it mechanically?

It won't cost you that much.

I have a Greddy Profec B spec 2, which is an electronic boost controller (that "computer thingy" that mechanic) was talking about. You can pick one up for about $550 or less.

You'll get a bit of an increase of power if you up the boost. But, the A/F's will be overly rich, and you won't make as much power as you should.

wil..

Ok...ask him what exactly he's going to "tune". Cause he can't alter the a/f ratio's with the stock computer.

To reset the ECU you need to put it into diagnostics mode, turn it off, then done. The ECU has been reset. Easy. (Do a search, this has been discussed before).

You could've bought the Ford EL o2 sensor. It's a direct replacement. You just have to cut the wires and resolder them back to the original nissan plug. (This has also been discussed before).  

Nissan sensor $170 approx, Ford EL o2 sensor $75 approx.....

wil..

Yea I know, I couldn't be fu**ed soldering, because I dont have one.

Anyway I understood the reset to be disconnecting battery, tapping on brake a few times and then reconnecting it again.

I am a bit hesitant to take it to him for a "tune" he wouldn't elaborate when I asked him exactly what it was that he was going to do. I am sceptical about this as I haven't heard it mentioned on this site.

i didnt solder mine, i just chopped the plug off the ford sensor, stripped the wires the length that the cars plug (to ecu) accepts for the pins for the normal plug, and put the wires in these pin sockets on the plug, then taped it all up. not the most clean fix, but i had a stuffed plug (o2 sensor end) so couldnt attach wires directly to that