SAU Community

Bathurst In December

260DET

go for it - horsepower is not what was lacking lol

maybe you could ballast up your 'heavyweight over 1000kg' Z to a 'lightweight by any measure' 1250kg? That should help!

Edited by hrd-hr30

As is now I'm guessing at least 1250kg. Anyway, I've done my time at Lakeside, an absolutely brilliant track but doing a few years there without a scratch will do. Now it's Morgan Park, Bathurst and Phillip Island, maybe QR. For Lakeside I'll nominate Neville as my proxy :nyaanyaa:

Any news on Bathurst anybody?

Bathurst. As far as the paperwork goes it should all be happening this week. For those who have EOI'd David Robertson re the Zed group please follow the instructions you will receive, basically David is acting as a sub organiser for the promoter. More good news for the Zed group, we will be offered the best section of the camping grounds and don't forget we will have a part of the covered garage area for free.

Volunteers. The call is out for volunteers to assist in the running of the event so here is a great chance to participate without risking the car, plenty of perks too. If interested contact Paul Clemens email [email protected]

Yey, Sup Regs and other info is out now :woot: A couple of points, all cars must be either road registered or log booked and tyres are restricted to those listed in CAMS Schedule E eg curved groove Hankook TDZ221 are OK but twin groove Z214 are not. Read it all for yourself though, all those who have expressed interest in joining the Zed group through David should have it all in your inbox.

Edit the above post to include the following part from CAMS Schedule E -

"2. FOR SPEED EVENTS In addition to the tyres listed above: i) Any tyre that is certified and marked on the tyre wall with E-Mark, D.O.T or AS standards shall be acceptable for use in Speed events"

So while Hankook Z214 are not on the tyre list they are advertised by the maker as being D.O.T compliant. Thanks David for that info.

And what car would that be in Snowy? The only sprint entrant I personally know is Lee Falkner in his MoTech'd 370Z which should go OK, Lee is quite a tidy driver.

I'm currently planning on taking the Porsche (Cayman GT4). I may also find out if I can take the EVO as well IF I decide I'm going to do 6hr again next year - but I REALLY want to do some laps in the croc there.

It should be similar in lap time speeds to the EVO since the lap times at PI in both cars are about the same - and I did a 2.30.2 at 6hr in that.

I looked through my 6hr lap times over the whole weekend, and even with 50 cars on track I had gone sub 2:36 by my 3rd lap of the weekend and I calculated over 75% of my laps were sub 2:36 even with all the traffic, and yet I only had a 2:30 speed car. So I decided it was the sprint or nothing for me.

We have a group of us entered in it - I know of 6 others in road cars entered as well (although the Racepace R33 GT-R isn't really all that road cary any more. lol)

One of the other things I considered as well is one of the original aims of the sprint was to give 12hr cars some "test" time.

However with the change of date none of the GT cars will be back from Highlands 101 anymore so there isn't the worry of being on track with cars doing 2:02's I had originally.

OK Snowy, tell me about the Bathurst newbie traps, the places where it's easy to hit something stationary and how they should be driven. Powerful RWD car.

Edited by 260DET

Edit the above post to include the following part from CAMS Schedule E -

"2. FOR SPEED EVENTS In addition to the tyres listed above: i) Any tyre that is certified and marked on the tyre wall with E-Mark, D.O.T or AS standards shall be acceptable for use in Speed events"

So while Hankook Z214 are not on the tyre list they are advertised by the maker as being D.O.T compliant. Thanks David for that info.

That's not what that means. Otherwise there would be absolutely zero point in maintaining the list of permitted Production Car tyres.

But Z214 are acceptable for use in speed events, just like full slicks are... just not in classes that require tyres from the Prod Car Tyre list

Edited by hrd-hr30

OK Snowy, tell me about the Bathurst newbie traps, the places where it's easy to hit something stationary and how they should be driven. Powerful RWD car.

This is going to sound stupid - but honestly the biggest way to have a monumental there is to go slow.

It is SO blind across the top (cutting to mcphillamy) that if you come across a slow (or worse stopped) car you literally have no time to react. If everyone drives at pace it's all good. But we had some people doing warm up / cool down laps at 6hr and man you come on them fast! But from the cutting to skyline you really shouldn't need to brake. There are a couple of small lifts but it's pretty fast the whole way.

The other advice I can give is try and find a sim to do some laps if you haven't already. There is no doubt the reason I could run within 3s of my fastest time by my 3rd lap is because I'd done 11ty laps on Project Cars. l remember after my first lap saying to myself - just drive it like the sim.

Otherwise - only 2 real trick corners are the cutting (you really need to keep it tight on turn in - road falls away on the back side a lot), and McPhillamy you need to almost begin your turn in before you can see it (so as you get to the top of the crest start the turn). At 170km/hr if you wait til you see it you'll run wide. Much the same as corporate hill at SMSP. And the only other real surprise corner is the little right hander after the dipper. It should be flat - but it's damn hard to get right.

Most cars on R Comps would be able to take the kink flat. That said I used to roll out of the throttle, and re-position my feet so that I could be 100% ready to brake (and data showed this didn't actually lose any time compared to keeping it flat).

Here's my quali laps to show some lines for a road car on R comps. The main thing really is committing to the walls - there is so much more grip due to the cambers right in at the walls so just trust yourself.

Nice footage. I was watching that on the train home and got so immersed I got a fright when I looked up and realised I was sitting on a train. Who needs expensive motion simulators?

The Z group has a couple of spare regularity spots, PM me if you like. Don't forget that the Z group is getting covered garages plus the pick of the camping sites and a reasonable number of motorsport experienced participants have joined.

Edited by 260DET

• 5 months later...