SAU Community

Questions About Fmic And Response

Hello

I am running a 400x260x70 sized return flow intercooler on my rb20 which has a rb25 turbo, tune, full exhaust, intake, gtr fuel pump.

I am upgrading to a larger fmic. I am deciding between a Blitz return flow fmic which is 600x266x76 or a regular fmic which is 600x300x100(or 70 maybe)

I've read many articles about intercoolers and response and so on. There seems to be no real answers I can find.

What are peoples results with return flow FMIC vs regular fmic in regards to response here on the forums.? Does it really matter that much? I am thinking that maybe it wont be that much difference.

Edited by yoshiii335

Shorter piping will make more difference than being return or not. So if you combine it with a ffp it might matter but otherwise not noticeably. Provided you have suitable components. Of specific situation yields different results such as turbo size and power level etc.

You will not notice any difference in response. The path the pipework takes to and from the IC will be about the same length regardless of which type of FMIC you choose. And even if there is a difference it will be precious little, like maybe 300mm more or less.

Keep in mind - you're talking about response here, which has nothing to do with the pros and cons of return flows or straight thru' cores (which are about maximum power capacity).

The only way you'd notice any difference is if you substantially upsized the pipework and possibly fitted a huge IC with massive internal volume.

Hello

I am running a 400x260x70 sized return flow intercooler on my rb20 which has a rb25 turbo, tune, full exhaust, intake, gtr fuel pump.

I am upgrading to a larger fmic. I am deciding between a Blitz return flow fmic which is 600x266x76 or a regular fmic which is 600x300x100(or 70 maybe)

I've read many articles about intercoolers and response and so on. There seems to be no real answers I can find.

What are peoples results with return flow FMIC vs regular fmic in regards to response here on the forums.? Does it really matter that much? I am thinking that maybe it wont be that much difference.

You will not notice any difference in response. The path the pipework takes to and from the IC will be about the same length regardless of which type of FMIC you choose. And even if there is a difference it will be precious little, like maybe 300mm more or less.

Keep in mind - you're talking about response here, which has nothing to do with the pros and cons of return flows or straight thru' cores (which are about maximum power capacity).

The only way you'd notice any difference is if you substantially upsized the pipework and possibly fitted a huge IC with massive internal volume.

So a regular fmic would be better than a return flow fmic?

Shorter piping will make more difference than being return or not. So if you combine it with a ffp it might matter but otherwise not noticeably. Provided you have suitable components. Of specific situation yields different results such as turbo size and power level etc.

Ok maybe a ffp I will buy.

Right now I am running a rb25 turbo on my rb20 but will buy a bigger turbo soon because the rb25 turbo is about dead.

Dead horse flogging.gif

Yoshii, you're overthinking this shit again.

1) FFP are generally a complete waste of time. They offer little benefit in their own right and are only really useful for solving packaging problems brought on by shovelling too much other stuff into the engine bay.

2) Return flow coolers are fine up to more than the power you're ever likely to make.

Dead horse flogging.gif

Yoshii, you're overthinking this shit again.

1) FFP are generally a complete waste of time. They offer little benefit in their own right and are only really useful for solving packaging problems brought on by shovelling too much other stuff into the engine bay.

2) Return flow coolers are fine up to more than the power you're ever likely to make.

Ok so which type doesn't matter than. I will choose the one which matches my power output.

Return flows will do 300+ rwkw so you got a long way to go yet!!! I have a Blitz return flow and its fine.

I would have to get the Blitz. The one I have now(return flow fmic) is only 400x260x70 in size.

I am about to get a bigger turbo soon.

All depends on your turbo size and power goals!!! If you already have a front mount then buy a turbo to suit its capability.....unless you are considering a complete upgrade then sell sell sell and buy buy buy..............lol.

All depends on your turbo size and power goals!!! If you already have a front mount then buy a turbo to suit its capability.....unless you are considering a complete upgrade then sell sell sell and buy buy buy..............lol.

My turbo is on its way out.

I am upgrading to a bigger one or a high flow.

Aiming for 350hp

Not trying to go off topic here but have simple question, will the blitz return flow be likely to pump out 340kw with ease on a RB3025 with E85? i have option to go blitz or the cheap china one which i already know will do the job but will require much labor to put on...compared to leaving blitz on the car already..