SAU Community

V35 - Nav and DVD Removal

Hi, 

Sorry if this has been answered before, I've spent days googling and reading this and the G35 forum and couldn't find the info but maybe my google-fu is weak

I have a December 2005 350GT coupe, auto with satnav option

Ok so what I'm planning on doing is removing the nav screen and mounting a Garmin unit to the up and down bracket. 

I'm thinking while I'm in there I may as well go an extra step and remove the DVD and card reader unit from the upper glovebox. 

I see on the wiring diagram there are CAN cables that go into the DVD unit and into a control unit. The control unit I believe is what feeds info to the instrument cluster (speedo etc). I know that this is so the Nav unit can run the navigation and also display the service intervals etc, but what I'm wondering is, if I remove the DVD unit is that going to mess with the control unit and therefore stop the speedo etc working?

My goal is that I'm going to wire in a 12v socket in the upper glovebox and run the Garmin power cable down behind the dash so the power cable is tidy and hidden and all looks factory.

Also hoping I can use the 5v line from the up and down motor that triggers the limit switch in the exisiting Nav screen to activate the 12v socket I'm going to install so the new GPS only gets power when the bracket is up.

Cheers

• 1 year later...

If the car needs it to run, how do the models without navi and this DVD drive manage?
I bought a V35 with this unit, and it has a double DIN head unit installed, so this DVD drive is redundant, unless I can use it as a DVD drive into the aftermarkets head units aux input?
Is that possible, or is disabling power to the DVD possible, because overtime I start the car I hear that unit going through its search for a disk, annoying.
Or can the actual DVD drive unit be removed from the nav unit?

you need it for the car to run. if there is a disk in it, it will try and read it. just take it out. It shouldn't be trying to read if there is no disc

You may be able to open it up and remove power from the drives motor to stop it from spinning.

• Like 1

A computer. Needs it to make the car run.

A lot of us have done a swap with a DVD unit in its place. But you still need the old one, and its put up behind the glove box.

Maybe if you put the disc back in it wont try and read it all the time?

• 2 weeks later...

I started taking the glove-box out, but gave up as my old knees cant hack it accessing under that dash, apart from it being a bit tight down there and dark. Put it all back, and thought bugger it, put up with a few seconds of rasping noises.
Anyone know a good audio installer that can make the factory steering wheel controls work with a 7" JDM Pioneer head unit?
I have seen universal adapters for this purpose, and wonder if anyone tried them in the Skylines?

Edited by Roger Overson
forgot to mention

• 3 weeks later...