SAU Community

R33 CRANKS, CLUNKS AND STOPS WHILE STARTING

crd1392

Help! I had my track car sitting around for a while without being started very often now whenever i start it, it cranks for abit and then suddenly makes a clunking noise and nothing happens until i turn the ignition off and back on. I've replaced the battery, starter motor and the alternator and still has the same issue. I've noticed if you don't turn the key to the fully on position just turn it enough until it cranks it eventually starts. Any help would be great. cheers

Hmmmm

may need a bit more information. Is it clunking like the starter is disengaging? Or does it sound like there is something physically contacting in the engine/starter/bellhousing etc?

Poor earth? Bad connection somewhere. Generally resistance increases with heat so this would explain why it is worse when its hot

Long shot but worth a look

I was going to say maybe a dodgy ignition barrel but it sounds to inconsistent for that

Ill have a look at my wiring diagram when i get near a computer to see what it could be

Yep, as above. Had a similar issue a while back. Check the +ve on the starter, then check the earths from the motor to the chassis and starter to the motor. Grease and crap may get in between the contacts so give them a sand and tighten them back up.