SAU Community

R32 GTR won't start, please help

R32 GTR won't start, please help

So I am running short on ideas to get my car started, part of this thread is copied from another question I posted about the CAS which was answered (thank you!).  I have searched around for similar issues and I feel like I have attempted all the solutions people had success with when having similar issues.

The car is a 1991 GT-R was delivered to me back in February in partially running condition.  It would miss sporadically at partial throttle and would die out the moment I let off the gas.  Since then the car has stopped running altogether.  The last time I took it around the block to test a repair it was extremely hard to get restarted and keep running.  Each time it died I had to crank on the starter for 15-20 seconds before it would fire up and then I had to keep my foot on the gas so it wouldn't die.  I limped it into the garage and it has been sitting there since.  The car will turn over but will not start.  Sometimes I get a backfire.  The only code the car was throwing was for "ignition", I think it was a 12 but it has been a few months since I checked it.

I do not know all of the modifications aside from what I have found by visual inspection.  The engine mods include:

RSR 4" cat-back

Greddy downpipe

R34 GTR stock turbos (not N1's)

Mine's intake

Blitz BOV's

The intercooler has NISMO on it but I haven't checked the plates on the core to see if it's legit

Work done so far:

Opened both MAF's to check for loose solders (all connections were good), cleaned both MAF's

Cleaned air filters (Mine's intake with K&N's)

New NGK BCPR7EIX Iridium plugs (it had some ngk race plugs installed when it arrived)

New battery

New coil packs

New coil pack wiring harness

New fuel pump (aeromotive 340)

New fuel filter

New ignition module (the old one tested bad and I really hope this would solve the issue haha)

Tried to start the car with starter fluid (sprayed in behind one of the mafs to avoid messing it up)

New CAS

Thanks in advance for any feedback, suggestions, or input!

Brock

The only good way is to take them out and send them away for proper cleaning and testing. But in the meantime after you have attempted to start the car pull the plugs out and see if they are wet. You need to try to establish whether you have a fueling or spark issue.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar issue a few week back with my R32 GTR had been sitting for 5 years and the time it right to get it back on the road. So new oil, new plugs, new battery and a new fuel pump and it would just crank and crank and crank with not even a hit of firing. It had spark and proper signal to the injectors just not enough power to get them to move so put 12v direct from the battery to each injector and that was enough to free them now starts and runs fine ever start.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the heads up, I may give that a shot.  At this point the plan is to just pull the injectors and ship them off to have them rebuilt and balanced as the cost isn't that bad.  I took a video last night that I will try to attach.  I pulled the CAS and spun it with the car keyed on and I can hear it sparking.  There is also a humming noise that accompanies it that sounds like it is coming from around the FPR as near as I can tell.  Does this clicking sounds pretty spot on? Does anyone know if the humming sounds are pretty typical?

I also connected a spare ecu and tried to start the car with the same result.  When I pulled the plugs after trying to start the car they for sure smelled of raw fuel.  Maybe they're stuck open and flooding the motor?

Thanks,

Brock

IMG_1277.MOV