SAU Community

which motul oil?

Driver

I use the 300V Chrono 10-40 in the GTR ~$40 per 2litres.

Probably best to give motul a call on: 1800 777 958

Same, except in the Gtst :(

SOME autobahn stores stock it, even if they dont, they will order it in for you

JimX... I travel at least 1100kms/week, and I've noticed that since changing to Motul 8100 I've seen better gains in my fuel economy (bowt 30-40kms extra), it's not much but appealing to me :)

- Performing better in general than what it did with Mobil1

- Comes up to normal engine temp quicker

- Gear changing smoother

- Car is alot quieter, and I now call her p u s s y :headspin:

JimX... I travel at least 1100kms/week, and I've noticed that since changing to Motul 8100 I've seen better gains in my fuel economy (bowt 30-40kms extra), it's not much but appealing to me :)

- Performing better in general than what it did with Mobil1  

- Comes up to normal engine temp quicker

- Gear changing smoother

- Car is alot quieter, and I now call her p u s s y  :headspin:

Motul 8100 is thinner than Mobil 1 (5W-40 vs 5W-50) so it doesn't surprise me that the 8100 gets you better economy. You would get better economy again by using a 5W-30 oil. The other things you say I'm not sure how that works or why it's necessarily better because of it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing your 8100 oil :D I use it myself too. I have found it to be better in one important way, in that it keeps the inside of your engine clean. But other than that, whether it's a better oil than any other synthetic other than Castrol (which gunked up my engine) I wouldn't know.

I've been using Motul 4100 for the last ~50,000km. Last oil change I put in Motul 8100 and immediately noticed my engine is more "noisey". At my local Autobahn the 4100 = $50 and the 8100 = $70.

If you can only get the 300V in 2L containers you'll need 3x 2L :)

I have found it to be better in one important way, in that it keeps the inside of your engine clean. But other than that, whether it's a better oil than any other synthetic other than Castrol (which gunked up my engine) I wouldn't know.

Yep, I'm hoping that next week when I do my oil change that the oil I drain out is similar to what I put in... I used Mobil1 for 2 oil changes and both times I had the putrid black death oil fill my oil pan... Wasn't happy, did a bit of research and went for Motul.

I've tried several different brands, but have found from personal experience that the Motul 8100 is best so far...  

As CK said, can someone please explain what ester synthetic is???

I didnt know this, all i can say is god bless google

PAO, short for poly-alpha-olefine

. Esters are mostly made of vegetables, minerals, and animal fatty acids. Motul’s® esters contain a lot of coconut derivatives. Esters are much more expensive because the ingredients all have to be collected from natural resources and synthesized (a very expensive process) in smaller quantities. Esters have all the advantages of a PAO but more of them. Esters can handle heat better than PAO’s and when burned, esters leave far less coking deposits. Esters are static types of oils and are attracted to metal parts with an electro-chemical bond. This means no more metal to metal start ups. This also means that a film is there before the oil pressure light goes out preventing premature wear of high-stressed parts like cam lobes. The film created is up to 5 times stronger then petroleum oil.

The number one reason to run an ester synthetic oil is bond. The electro-chemical bond is made because the ester molecule is polar. Sort of like a refrigerator magnet. It is attracted to metal and sticks.The PAO molecules are neutral and act like a piece of plastic placed on the fridge. They just fall off. All commercial jet plane flying, use an ester synthetic of some type and not a PAO. You need to run an ester of some sort for maximum protection.