SAU Community

Where to buy a turbo

LotusGTR

I'm tubrocharging an NA Porsche 3.2 Carrera and need to source a turbo for it.  Second hand, rebuilt, I don't mind as long as it does the job and isn't drug money.  Specs are:

T3 inlet, Vband outlet, ball bearing, A/R 0.82, 350 - 500 hp, external gate

I'll take recommendations on brand as well as I'm relatively unfamiliar with turbo brands outside of Garrett.

I'm in Vic so that's a preference.

Cheers.

IMG_8252.jpg

Edited by LotusGTR

If you're not brand-conscious then consider Garrett, Borg Warner, Precision, Master Power, Kinugawa.  If you want one built specifically for you, Melbourne based then talk with Hypergear.

As to sourcing them, there's plenty of comments throughout this forum where to look.

Possibly won't be a lot of direct experience with Porsche engines on a Skyline-centric forum, but if I recall correctly those early spec 70s - 80s air cooled engines were (by RB standards) lower revving and fairly low compression pumps. But they did run a solid hit of boost and performed strongly if you could keep them in a boost friendly rpm range.

If you're looking to boost a high-comp donk, best be speaking to people with Porsche experience, and considering how you're planning to fuel and tune it.

Could be a great experience, would like to hear more as you go along.  Being Euro the engine will no doubt have some demanding requirements, but the turbo choices will be broad.

Thanks mate. There is a well trodden route for turboing an NA Porsche 3.2l flat 6. Turbo, injectors and programable ECU, and other obvious items. Just needed a steer on turbo brands and where to get them. I visited Tao on Friday and a mate dug this old Greddy unit up for me so there are a few options. IMG_8344.jpg

Turbine housing will be too small on that one. I'd suggest an Borg Warner airwerks around s257 / 7670 / 8070 size. 

Thanks. Too small for what? Bear in mind initial set up is 7psi and 350hp. Turbo is gong to cost very little so it’s probably a good place to start unless it’s stuffed or really inappropriate for the application. There is also the issue of packaging as there is not a whole heap of space at the back of the Porsche engine with the rear bar, engine tinware and rear engine mount all conspiring against you. All of that said I’ll def look into the turbos you suggested and thanks for your input.