SAU Community

Engine dies after a few minutes of driving

sr20dettttt

Hey guys,

Car is a r34 GTR.

Car runs perfectly fine, however after around 10-15 mins of driving, engine cuts out and turns off. This could happen while driving, or while on idle at a stop light. Sometimes I can start the car immediately, however most of the times, I cannot. I can turn the key to the on position (dash lights all operational, no check engine light), however cannot start. After waiting a few minutes, the car starts up fine and continues to drive normally until it cuts off again.

I'm thinking maybe a sensor is overheating, and cuts the engine completely. Maybe CAS? Maybe fuel pump relay? I'm not sure.

Temps on the MFD, oil temp, oil pressure, water temp etc are all fine. There's a little fuel pressure gauge in the engine bay, and it looks like it has constant pressure.

Car has a couple of recent mods: Haltech platinum pro, MAP sensors, upgraded cams, fuel pump + relay, intercooler, injectors, fuel rail, upgraded turbos and running e85. 

I had these mods for a good month before the symptoms above started appearing.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance guys!

If it is a sudden stop it is likely to be electrical.  If it stumbles a bit it may be more fuel.  I once had a Falcon that would just shutdown after fifteen minutes or so - it was heat soak to an old coil.

Can you hear the fuel pump running when the engine stops?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the help.

I downloaded the Haltech software and connected the car to my laptop. Monitored everything and realised the MAP sensor was flashing. 

Ended up being bad connection to the MAP sensor. We had to re-pin it and now works perfectly fine.

Thanks again! I hope this helps others out with their electrical issues!