SAU Community

Vq25det boost sensor

Ottdurr

So recently I changed the plugs in my vq25det for the first time and it didn't go so well, I still had a mean misfire and I couldn't figure it out. Well it turns out I had plugged the lead for the cylinder 1 ignition coil into this little sensor on part of the intake, and vice versa.

After putting the leads back where they go the misfire went away but I knew I probably had broken something.

After taking it for a drive the turbo made a different sort of whining noise after 3k rpm and there was a noticeable loss of power. I checked the CEL codes and got 0235 which is for the turbocharger boost sensor circuit which makes perfect sense, I guess I fried the sensor.

My questions are, has anyone else done this stupid mistake before? And can I replace the sensor with a generic sensor?

it seems impossible to find the exact part (ps66-01) In NZ second hand I could only find one guy wrecking his 250t and he didn't want to part out the engine components separately. I've found a bunch of generic sensors off different cars such as subaru forester and they all appear to use the same 3 pin plug and just a little air hose attachment to get the reading so I was wondering if they would work? It's just a pressure sensor right so surely it should just read the pressure and send the signal in a fairly universal way?

20190921_094122.jpg

Edited by Ottdurr
Pic upload

Update: Found the correct sensor off a guy wrecking his gtst skyline for $40. I had another question, what does this sensor do exactly, does it determine when to open/ close the wastegate? And without it its stuck in one position? It would explain the funny turbo noise maybe its over boosting, I was able to reach 12psi before I shut it all down in fear of breaking something. 

21 minutes ago, Ottdurr said:

Sweet thanks, so without the sensor the turbo is just boosting in an uncontrolled manner? So I should avoid driving until I replace it to protect the turbo from damage? 

Have you got a boost gauge? Just drive sensibly ...you should be able to tell when your boost is on the rise anyway.

5 hours ago, Ottdurr said:

Sweet thanks, so without the sensor the turbo is just boosting in an uncontrolled manner? So I should avoid driving until I replace it to protect the turbo from damage? 

No, it's not used for boost control. It's mostly for "don't f**k with me" engine protection function.

the sound that its making.... is it like a louder whiring noise around when boost should start coming on?

Have you had your turbo replaced or highflowed yet? or is it a stock turbo? also also how many KM you done?
as the stock turbo gives out and makes a bad noise.

from memory this is the sound it makes.

It's a very strange noise, doesn't really sound like the video, it sounds like the original turbo noise is still there, and the new noise is just overlaid ontop of it. Sounds like a kazoo is stuck in the intake pipe. I'm considering it might be a boost leak between intercooler and throttle body because the rubber pipes have turned to stone over the years 

Edited by Ottdurr

• 4 weeks later...