SAU Community

Blow Off Valves

Mavric

Howz it going guys,

I just brought my self an R33 and i live in Melbourne. My skyline has a BOV on it and i want to keep it on there, besides it sounding good it's also good for the turbo as we all know. Does anyone know if it's possible to keep the blow off valve on the car and keep it legal.

Thanx Matt.

Howz it going guys,

I just brought my self an R33 and i live in Melbourne. My skyline has a BOV on it and i want to keep it on there, besides it sounding good it's also good for the turbo as we all know. Does anyone know if it's possible to keep the blow off valve on the car and keep it legal.

Thanx Matt.

Only if its not venting to atmosphere and plumbed back in like the standard unit as far as I know. Then you loose the sound, so might as well have the stock unit and no problems.

Thanx guys so there is no way not even if i get an engineers certificate to say that the car requires one or that it is fitted as to his specification does anyone know if thats possible. i wanna try cover all areas to get around this one and im sure others have done this process and know the facts.

just quickly about BOV's, i have seen some BOV welded on the intake pipe. is that still illegal?

If its on the intake pipe.. before it hits the turbo, its not really "bad" air so to speak... at that point i would have though.. so it should technically be legal..

correct me if i am wrong guys.. still a noob :cheers:

so there is no way not even if i get an engineers certificate to say that the car requires one or that it is fitted as to his specification does anyone know if thats possible.

You can't get a BOV engineered (unless it's a plumb back)

You can't get a certificate to say the car "needs one"... because it doesn't.

just quickly about BOV's, i have seen some BOV welded on the intake pipe. is that still illegal?

uh.... are you sure you aren't talking about air flow meters?

I don't know why anyone would put a BOV on the intake, it wouldn't do anything.

Is there any mechanical benefit on welding the BOV onto the intake as it's not getting rid of any excess air from the turbo or is it? And will it still cause a big and hard working turbo to stall on deceleration???

I have a HKS SSQV and the standard R34 BOV. I leave the HKS BOV off most of the time as it attracts too much attention and is just asking for a defect notice.

If the car comes factory fitted with a BOV then it is LEGAL. My car went through ADR37 compliance like every other import vehicle, and all factory fitted items are noted as compliant. The fact that the factory R34 BOV makes a wooshh sound makes no difference, it is a factory fitted item and my compliance plate says it passes as compliant so the cops or EPA cant do sh!t about it :)

Only if its not venting to atmosphere and plumbed back in like the standard unit as far as I know. Then you loose the sound, so might as well have the stock unit and no problems.

Aftermarket BOV with plumb back will still make noise, well mine does any way (GReddy). From my experiance if you run high boost like mine does (1.5 bar), then an aftermarket one is needed (my stock one starts leaking for some reason).

My 2 cents worth.

the stock bov with a pod filter is pretty loud, just like a normal blow off valve, i dont see the need for an aftermarket bov unless you run a crapload of manifold pressure from heaps of boost aka 20psi ++

The fact that the factory R34 BOV makes a wooshh sound makes no difference,

does the factory BOV make a venting to atmo sound??? I wasn't aware of that. Still haven't got my R34 so i don't know :rofl: never driven one either :D