SAU Community

clutch adjustments for the experienced guys

Deano 1

Hey fella's 

I have an issue with my clutch in my OS88 - its a direct clutch services twin plate. 

long story short, it was making a clunking sound when on your way back up from the floor after pushing the clutch to floor. 

Turns out its the the throw out bearing carrier - the carrier has a groove around the inside of it and its slipping almost off the end of the sleeve that it travels on inside the bell housing. 

This leads me to believe I need to get a longer or higher Bearing Carrier I understand Nissan make a bunch of different ones. 

My main question here is - 

If the bearing carrier is longer, will It make the clutch disengage higher up or lower?

I take it this is a push clutch right ? If so what is the recommended bearing carrier for your clutch ? A stock carrier is 14mm, but most multi plates generally use bigger ones. Because multiplate clutches are usually more compact, as the distance from back flywheel to pressure plate fingers is reduced from standard, meaning you have to correct that length with a longer carrier to get the correct travel. For example ATS triples have 20mm, ATS twin 30mm, R3C 26mm, R4C 18mm and so on. If this length is too short, your release throw will be reduced as the clutch fork fulcrum point won't be correct.

Nissan do different carriers from about 12mm - 32mm in 2mm increments. We had to correct one recently from NPC. It had a stock 14mm carrier, but some wanker packed an extra 4mm of washers under the clutch fork pivot as a ghetto way to try and not use the correct carrier. This is also not the correct way to do it as your fulcrum point will still be wrong as the fork won't sit parallel on the carrier, even if the calculated length is correct. Solution was to remove the 4mm of washers and fit an 18mm carrier.

Basically you need to find out what carrier you have and what carrier you're supposed to have, as it definitely doesn't sound right.

Interesting - this is the information I’m after 

yes it’s a OS88 so push type. 

can you explain the method to measure what sized carrier I’m after??

and what point the measurements are taken on the carrier to determine what size it is? 

thanks for your help so far

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/11/2020 at 9:52 AM, Deano 1 said:

what point the measurements are taken on the carrier to determine what size it is? 

@Deano 1The measurement on the carrier is taken from where the clutch fork presses to where the inner bearing race sits and is the length that is extended for multi plates. For example this is a stock R32 GTR 14mm push type bearing carrier with a release bearing installed:

IMG_20201125_095703_8.jpg

IMG_20201125_095734_9.jpg

As far as working out which one you need, it's all about measuring everything to work out how far away your bearing is from the pressure plate fingers and adjusting accordingly. I do have a drawing of how to do it to fully explain it. I'll post it up for you when I can dig it out.