SAU Community

R33 Series 1 Steering Wheel and Clockspring Confusion

Hello all :))

I have a S1 R33 GTS which Im in the process of getting the interior back to stock, so I’ve got a S1 (non-airbag steering wheel) and S1 clockspring..

Only issue is, the clockspring doesn’t fit in into my indicators but it fits the steering wheel..... is there a different clockspring I need or indicator unit thing ? 

if someone could shed some light on this, that would be great, as it’s the only thing keeping me from getting a RWC and getting it on the road ❤️

Image attached shows that I have no slot for the clockspring to fit into, so hence my problem haha

EEAF7189-7BB4-40A5-AC88-2D2C53B3C808.jpeg

Edited by JDM Fan Boy
Accidentally posted a skid video haha

Now that is weird !

I've also got a S1 non air bag model and I've bolted up a R34 triptronic auto clock spring to the indicator mech no problems

Get the part numbers off both the clock spring and blinker mech you have and run a check on them.

some one might of had a fiddle with them to get an after market steering wheel to fit 

So from my understanding there is supposed to be a space for the plug to fit, but it doesn’t, and I don’t have a plug to to plug into the clockspring, so I’m sorta lead to believe I’ve either got the wrong clockspring or I don’t need one at all ?

4C118C52-B5EB-4674-8E43-985B70CCECF5.jpeg

On 06/04/2021 at 11:11 AM, GTSBoy said:

Technically, the thing you're holding in your hand isn't the clockspring. It's the steering angle sensor for the HICAS. The clockspring is inside the column shroud - it's what handles the indicators.

That makes a lot of sense...

Just  slapped the wheel on and sent it with a rattle gun and son of rajab and behold, it fits and the indicators cancel

Thanks so much for your help guys ☺️