SAU Community

RB20DET Code 34 even after knock sensor bypass

Blaeeeek

Hey fellas. 

Since I bought my HCR32 it has ran pretty well although it runs rich and sucks down fuel. I checked the codes and it throws a code 34, knock sensor and a code 21, ignition signal. I heard that when code 34 is thrown the ECU will retard timing and dump in fuel. 

I went ahead and bypassed the knock sensors for diagnosis purposes. I went down to the ECU and soldered 1/4 watt 1M ohm resistor on each of the two wires for the two knock sensors, and grounded the other ends to the chassis. 

After doing so, I went and test drove the car and I could feel a slight hesitation around 5-6k rpm or so, which it didn't do before. It feels like it maybe is slightly slower after said hesitation, perhaps the ECU pulling timing. However, it didn't do this prior to me bypassing the knock sensors. 

Got back home, checked the codes, and code 34 once again showed. If I bypassed the sensors with the resistors I would think it's not possible to throw that code. 

My question is, is the hesitation pulling timing, and it actually wasn't pulling timing before the bypass like I thought it was? Or could it have been pinging that I felt? I'm not sure exactly what pinging feels like as I've never experienced it. 

Perhaps my rich/awful mpg issue is something else and this was all a waste of time. Let me know what you guys think, thanks