SAU Community

Bosch donut knock sensors install

Looks like its an m10 thread.  Does anyone have a block they could measure the surface area around the knock sensor?  The donut according to Plex needs 22mm of surface area to contact.

I know on some cars, people just drill out the bosch from m8 to m10.  Wonder if it can be done on an RB.

The JZ have an adapter stud, but they are m12.

Depends on the block you're using.  When tuning RB30s I use an unmodded M8 Bosch donut in an M12 hole in the block (same as 2Js) using one of these thingys:

https://www.efisolutions.com.au/knock-sensor-conversion-stud-m12-to-m8

With RB25/26 I *have* used a combination of drilled-to-M10 donut sensors and they've seemed alright, alternately have just had an M8 and M10 bolt welded back to back to make up a similar adapter stud to the Toyota one you use on RB30s and JZs.

Edited by Lithium
  • Like 1

Is there anything particularly wrong with the stock RB26 knock sensors? NTK KNE01A as far as I can tell is a wideband sensor. I would have figured if anything is the problem it would be the wiring harness which appears to ground the knock sensor to the block rather than using the knock sensor pins as a differential input. The wires also appear to be unshielded.

On 5/27/2022 at 11:54 AM, joshuaho96 said:

Is there anything particularly wrong with the stock RB26 knock sensors? NTK KNE01A as far as I can tell is a wideband sensor. I would have figured if anything is the problem it would be the wiring harness which appears to ground the knock sensor to the block rather than using the knock sensor pins as a differential input. The wires also appear to be unshielded.

They're probably all using aftermarket ECUs.