SAU Community

1991 R32 GTR fusible link

Jjtxaz24

Hey guys. I got a question. My old alternator (stock 80 amp) I felt was going out (dash cluster, lights,windows, mirrors would all stop working - car still turned on and worked just no accessories intermittently) I replaced it with a 140 amp alternator and the black wire on my fusible link got super hot and seemed to be melting the wire so I immediately shut it off.

20211023_131951.thumb.jpg.947b8909740231e5f18ee222b714349a.jpg

I ordered a stock replacement, shown below but it won't be in for a little bit (coming from Japan)

Screenshot_20211023-161326_Chrome.thumb.jpg.61e80fcb6110d20840a0a7d5ddb57c53.jpg

in the mean time I replaced that highlighted wire in the first picture (fusible link) with a 10 gauge (30 amp) wire. It still feels warm to touch but not hot like the old smaller wire (IDK what size gauge it was maybe a 16 or something)

My question is is the fusible link feeling warm to touch bad? What size gauge is the stock wire? I read that a fusible link is supposed to be smaller to protect the main wire it's linked too. 

Appreciate the help. 

I would suggest that you stop doing what you are doing and take the car to an auto-electrician. I don't think replacing the alternator was likely to be the correct response to what appears to be a wiring problem elsewhere.

The likelihood that we can diagnose what the real problem is across the internet is, on all previous evidence, f**k all.

On 10/23/2021 at 8:48 PM, GTSBoy said:

I would suggest that you stop doing what you are doing and take the car to an auto-electrician. I don't think replacing the alternator was likely to be the correct response to what appears to be a wiring problem elsewhere.

The likelihood that we can diagnose what the real problem is across the internet is, on all previous evidence, f**k all.

The alternator was replaced because I've had another Nissan do the same thing. Dash and all accessories go out, but car still turns over and runs. Verdict was a bad alternator. I took the same approach with this one only instead of sticking with the same 80-90 amp alternator I upgraded it to a 140 amp. 

That's the problem with owning pre-owned cars. You never know what the previous owner did/hacked up.

I figured this would be the along the lines of the replies I'd get though. Thanks for the help. 

I'm open to other suggestions or recommendations. I appreciate the help in advance. 

Edited by Jjtxaz24
Grammar.