SAU Community

2008 370GT - where do you guys mount your mobile phone?

Vee37

I just bought a 2008 370GT. I use to own a 2003 350GT. I found a pretty good mounting option for my phone (for nav and ODBII), with the only negative was that it blocked one of the vents, just to the left of the steering wheel.

With this 370 GT, I really am struggling to see where I count mount my phone so its in clear view, without blocking other controls. Where/how do you guys mount it?

When I was searching to buy, I did see something that looked like its mounting was inserted into the CD slot. I use the music from my phone, so I can loose the CD slo0t, but it just looks like it would damage the CD player and its mechanism.

Same issue here, same car. I was running a magnet mount on the driver’s left vent, but the metal prongs it uses inside the rubber grins eventually give out and it drops. 
I’ve been considering the CD mount too. The ones I’ve seen are short for the insert, and have grips going up and down that tension once you’ve inserted it. Doesn’t go in to far. 
until I get one, my phone is sitting in my cup holders, or sideways in front of the screen. 

On 2/6/2022 at 3:53 PM, colin.ssc said:

I use a CD slot mount by iOttie - https://www.amazon.com.au/iOttie-Holder-iPhone-Samsung-Smartphones/dp/B088GJBLLY?th=1

They have one that has wireless charging too.

I haven't tested my CD player. All my music is MP3's on my phone, My previous 350GT, like all others had a broken CD player, so I keep forgetting to take a CD down to the car for a test. Have you checked before and after that nothing gets borked by the CD holder? I think that location looks promising as I dont use the onboard player. The ;last guy who had the car hadn't converted it to English, and all the HDD music is K-Pop or Japanese. He leant me his Bluetooth to radio converter for my loooooong trip home.

On my 350GT, I had a long flexible arm thing that plugged into the lighter, came up to the air vent (directly above it) and I used a hidden plastic cable-tie behind it to hold the phone to the air vent. I might give a vent mount a go, with a hidden plastic cable tie. But charging will possibly be an issue, as I also don't have wireless charging (Pixel 4a), but the battery last pretty well.

The CD Mount looks good, but at worst, may be a little low.

On 07/02/2022 at 1:04 PM, colin.ssc said:

A little low, but works for me. I don't use the CD player or the stock radio/media player for that matter. I have installed an aftermarket CarPlay/Android Auto unit for music/maps now.

Pic's or it didn't happen. 😆

Honestly though, I am curious about how it looks. Does it perform well enough? Did you replace anything, or adapt the old tech? I've been reading that some are slow to react. Which one did you go with?

I got this one

https://www.naviplus.com.au/online-store/Nissan-V36-J50-Skyline-Apple-CarPlay-&-Android-Auto-Integration-p96711064

It's good IMO, I get to bypass the HU signals by plugging the audio output of this unit straight into my sound processor. The Bose HU are shit.

Will try to get some photos later but it uses the stock screen, triggers via one of the buttons, and works when you trigger the side or rear camera.

On 2/7/2022 at 8:50 PM, colin.ssc said:

I got this one

https://www.naviplus.com.au/online-store/Nissan-V36-J50-Skyline-Apple-CarPlay-&-Android-Auto-Integration-p96711064

It's good IMO, I get to bypass the HU signals by plugging the audio output of this unit straight into my sound processor. The Bose HU are shit.

Will try to get some photos later but it uses the stock screen, triggers via one of the buttons, and works when you trigger the side or rear camera.

Hey, that's is not a holder, but a replacement/extension of the system.

My problem is that what I can get my rooted phone to do, would not be practically possible on this 3rd party system. I am an android developer. Also, the audio quality and flexibility from my modified phone is truly brilliant. These same change would more than likely not be possible on a  system such as this. And hence a holder for my phone.

On my previous 350GT I built and installed a purpose built computer in my boot to replace/extend the built in screen/functions/navigation of the stock car, but eventually, I moved to using my phone. It was better, and now I had two screens at once. Navigation on one (the phone) and fuel economy on the other (the car screen)

I've tried CD mount (too low and obstructs controls), centre dash mount (obstructs view), dash mount next to the A-pillar (obstructs view) and have now resorted to letting it lay above the gear stick surround ontop of the closed ashtray. CD mount probably the best option but still not ideal imo.

On 2/10/2022 at 9:43 AM, mooij said:

I've tried CD mount (too low and obstructs controls), centre dash mount (obstructs view), dash mount next to the A-pillar (obstructs view) and have now resorted to letting it lay above the gear stick surround ontop of the closed ashtray. CD mount probably the best option but still not ideal imo.

I found a possible solution, similar to what I did in my 350GT. Basically, I have created a secure mount that hooks into the air-vent between the display screen and the drivers dials. I cant take a photo it, as the phone is mounted when its in its place. This first hack is a concept test. but the phone is high and its secure (I use plastic cable ties to hold the phone mount. The top of the screen almost perfectly aligns with the bottom of my screen from the drivers position (so it does not obstruct view, and doesn't require looking down). I do loose 3/4 of my air vet, but I have plans to maybe stick it out a little from the vent, thus allowing it to be on.

centerconsole.jpg

These cable ties are pretty unbreakable, so the phone isnt going anywhere. They are often used as handcuffs.

As I said, I basically used the same placement on my 350GT, but that was lower, and also had a bendable flexy arm thingy down to the cigarette lighter, to provide charging.

Edited by Vee37
  • Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 12:54 PM, mooij said:

Ah yeah that looks alright. I'll grab a vent holder and give it a shot cheers mate. 

Will get a photo once I'm done.

Mine should arrive by Friday (from ebay, aus location), so I will have it installed over the weekend. If you wait, I will post up pics and stuff and let you know if it works, or if my idea is a fail, before you waste ya time & money.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 4:58 PM, Low/slow370GT said:

https://www.holdmyphone.com.au/13-15/

this is another option. A few mounting options, and then you also select the holder for the device. 

Thanks, but one requires drilling holes in the dash. Not something I am prepared to commit to, and it looks too low anyway. And the second would mean a cable traversing across my field of view, or at least across the steering wheel column (messy)  while It was charging.

On 2/15/2022 at 7:24 AM, Low/slow370GT said:

Forgot to mention this is specific for the 370GT

No worries, the whole thread is titled as 370GT. You may of been put off as I mentioned my previous car, which was a 350GT.

ok, the vent mount arrived today. I'll post more later, but it looks good so far.

PXL_20220216_101303474.thumb.jpg.e6a4d49a97e8b34bf6a1e96e4376f109.jpg

Its basically held by the vent holder BUT I have multiple cable ties in the back ensuring it doesnt pop out.

The phones weight pushes down on the bottom lip, which closes the side holder things.

PXL_20220216_101331313.thumb.jpg.d84168a1791b63f6210102a8f4740ce1.jpg

I went over some speed humps, and it was OK. But it was a short drive. I didn't spend anytime perfecting the positioning. I used the same supports (cable tie arrangements) from my previous old test holder; it positioned pretty good. The bottom right corner of the phone aligns with the steering wheel and indicator stalk. ie screen is un-obstructed while driving. And the top of the screen is much below the bottom of the winds-screen. I'll adjust it to be higher later, but its good where it is.

The only negatives so far

1. The "silicon padding" on the side is wafer thin; its like glad wrap. Expected for the cheap Chinese (delivered from AUS) I bought for $16, but it arrived pretty quick. Bought the 12th and arrived 16th, this morning.

2. The side holders align to my volume controls. So when I was first fiddling with it, it changed my volume. Pixel 4a. But was fine when I was simply driving or touching the screen or taking it in and out.

One unexpected bonus was how easy it was to put in the holder. It opens up when you take the phone out (gravity and no weight on the bottom lever), and so you just drop the phone in, and the phones weight clamps the sides in. All one handed and a single motion. My previous one required me to squeeze the sides to hold the phone.

I'll post some photos of the supports/cable ties in the coming days.

This is the one, there are plenty like it for sale on eBay.

774098123_ventmount.thumb.PNG.624f42ff8c2ad122b5a24320ed1944d0.PNG

• Thanks 1

On 15/2/2022 at 12:42 PM, Vee37 said:

Thanks, but one requires drilling holes in the dash. Not something I am prepared to commit to, and it looks too low anyway. And the second would mean a cable traversing across my field of view, or at least across the steering wheel column (messy)  while It was charging.

No worries, the whole thread is titled as 370GT. You may of been put off as I mentioned my previous car, which was a 350GT.

Surprisingly actually, this does not require drill or cutting into your dash. And that is just the mount. A holder has to be selected with the purchase.

But I do agree, it is low. I had mine in a magnetic vent mount. Honestly, shocking spot for everything except for phone convenience. Blocks a vent, and my AC isn’t as gutsy as my previous cars. I would always hit the cluster controls. The vent would always slide left and right, flinging the phone around. 

hopefully your new one fairs better than my magnetic one. 
I’m honestly considering apple CarPlay upgrade, unless my car sells soon. 

I had a failure while driving over very rough road (potholes/construction) and quick left & right turns (left-right through some back-roads). The phone bounced out of the holder, twice within a few hundred meters. But stayed in place for the other 100km. I think a spring/elastic band to hold the opposing horizontal arms together (instead of gravity pushing down) will solve this issue. I also think if I had the charger cable plugged in, it would of stayed in place.