SAU Community

Melted piston

I just got the devastating news that I've melted number 6 piston in my '97 R33 GTR. I understand that I'm now due for an engine rebuild but I have some questions that are worrying me at the moment....

1. Is this BIG money? Does anyone have any idea how much an engine rebuild usually costs?

2. Does this take long, I mean are we talking 1 week or 1 month??

3. Is it a better option (cheaper) to just source another engine from a wrecker or someone? If so any suggestions on where from?

Thanks fellas for any help!

I had all the parts necessary to carry out my engine buildup.. I accumulated them over the course of a year (I was in no rush) and by the time came to strip the engine down and build it up again with stronger parts, it only took 3 weeks from dropping the car off, to towing it to get tuned.

Where engine builds get lengthy, is when you are forced to sit and wait for parts that you ordered DURING the build and are at the mercy of the parts supplier. The actual labour itself can be completed in 2 weeks.

As for what's better, rebuild it or buy another second hand engine, your engine is probably the newest you'll find on the second hand market for a decent price. Most of them are from R32 GTRs or older R33 GTRs.

I would stick to yours, diagnose what went wrong, price out a rebuild and then make a decision from there. A replacement RB26 can cost you anywhere from $5000 - $8000, and upto 16,000 for a new one.

I just got the devastating news that I've melted number 6 piston in my '97 R33 GTR. I understand that I'm now due for an engine rebuild but I have some questions that are worrying me at the moment....

1. Is this BIG money? Does anyone have any idea how much an engine rebuild usually costs?

2. Does this take long, I mean are we talking 1 week or 1 month??

3. Is it a better option (cheaper) to just source another engine from a wrecker or someone? If so any suggestions on where from?

Thanks fellas for any help![/quote

minimum $5k more like $6 + depending on what you find inside it . you can easily get all the parts you want you can even buy nissan parts and they have everything here in australia .

how long to rebuild depends on who does it , it took me 2 weeks to do nine from the time i pulled it out of the car till i had it back in and running , i used arias forgies and bored out to 87 mm .

as for getting a second hand 1 forget it it will cost you at least $5k for an older engine + fitting and it maybe as good as yours .

the other option is a brand new n1 engine from nissan for around $12 k

good luck with whatever you deside to do , however its not going to be cheap !

LOL, from experience I can say that when the build takes 2 months or so its usually because of " nah mate, still waiting on tha rods " , " the morons sent the wrong pistons " ," just waiting for the head to get back" " the guy with your block wont return my calls"

etc etc etc.

Sounds like a lean out from a failing fuel pump! It's just an idea.

Cheapest way is to just go new pistons and rings and freshen the motor I suppose, new bearings and such. Don't know they price but my bet it would be your cheapest alternative. Doing allot of the work yourself would save you a packet and also it interesting to do (Not too mention it can also be very Frustrating)