SAU Community

anyway of getting around customs tax+gst ?

Easy, relinquish yourself as an Aussie and don't drive on the roads, use Medicare, get an education or live in country with a half decent defence force.

Or you could just move to New Zealand, who don't have a car industry and the tax is less.

:jk:

Because that "bullshit" helps to pay for hospitals, the PBS, roads, railways, water and power infrastructure, education, etc... to name but a few things.

LW.

It's ashame a big chunk of it goes to welfare payments..

But I do agree on paying your fair share of taxes. I just dont agree with free handouts to ppl who are more than capable of working rather than bludging all day.

well i know one way of getting around it, all you need to do is prepare a fake invoice with a less value of the goods. It will need to be on the companies letter head where you bought the goods from but a photocopy is acceptable to customs so it can look dodgy. Make up your new amount how much the goods cost dont make it anything rediculous it will need to be something believable. and give customs your new dodgy invoice instead of the real one.

ps :P I do not condone this activity though.

It's ashame a big chunk of it goes to welfare payments..

But I do agree on paying your fair share of taxes. I just dont agree with free handouts to ppl who are more than capable of working rather than bludging all day.

Personally I wish more went to welfare payments and redressing the inequalities of our society, and I would reject the idea of a "bludging" culture amongst the majority of welfare recipients.

But hey, this is a car forum.. so in the spirit of cars, pay your taxes so we still have some roads :P

LW.

My skide skirts cost me $700, air freight nearly $100, then customs charge me $400. If you work it out thats over 50% duty/charges. I dont mind paying airfare and 10% GST, but its all those other fees they slug you that are the killer.

The other side to this argument is that these high fees make it hard for international companies to compete, and hence we get charged more by local manufacturers for the products they produce. (Whats worse in my case was that there wasnt a local option for me to choose anyway)

Personally I wish more went to welfare payments and redressing the inequalities of our society, and I would reject the idea of a "bludging" culture amongst the majority of welfare recipients.

But hey, this is a car forum.. so in the spirit of cars, pay your taxes so we still have some roads :P

LW.

I never said the majority of welfare recipients are "bludgers". I said there are people out there that do take government benefits for granted, and instead of proactively looking for work, they simply do nothing.

But let's not argue anyway. We're here in the interest of cars. And our posts will probably be deleted soon..

twoquik,

If you are going to publicise a way around it, you should also let people know the risks and penalties associated with it.

What you are suggesting is fraud, worst of all against the government. Faking a legal documentation would bear heavy penalties and a conviction at the least.

How do you explain the difference in between faking a legal document and faking a $50 bill...?

My skide skirts cost me $700, air freight nearly $100, then customs charge me $400. If you work it out thats over 50% duty/charges. I dont mind paying airfare and 10% GST, but its all those other fees they slug you that are the killer.

You should have had them sent by surface mail (ie. sea) -- it has a customs limit of A$1000 rather than A$250 by "courier services" -- and you would have saved yourself that $400.

LW.

I don't understand how you can get a $400 bill for $700 of goods???? My calcs are:

700 x 15% import duty = $805

805 x 10% gst = $885.50

Thats $185.50 not $400. They were the taxes paid for my car when I imported it.