SAU Community

R32 GTS (RB20 DET) Reliability??

guys,

I'm just looking into buying one of these at the moment (importing), was just wondering how reliable or unreliable they can be. I'm used to a toyota which causes hardly any problems at all (a 1986 corolla 4age), was wondering if I can expect similar reliability out of a 1989 GTS. I realise they are a turbo car so there is an extra something to go wrong etc.

How tough are the the RB20 - if it's been running stock boost and serviced they should last a while right? I realise they are getting old now so a few repairs are inevitable - but I just don't want to be paying heaps for parts and getting things fixed...if possible. I don't think I will be able to get a compression check done prior to purchase, but I see engines are relatively cheap from importers (although could also be close to shagged).

How about theft, as I will probably be just doing 3rd party property cover. Plenty of kill switches I guess

Any weaknesses of this model?

Electrics?

Engine?

G/bx?

diff?

etc...

Many thanks!

PS I also posted same question in maintanence, wasn't sure where to put this

since I bought my R32 nearly a year ago I've had to go through a fair amount of repairs. Some of these things include:

fuel pump, clutch cylinders, alternator, head gasket.

Some of the things I need to fix are:

turbo gasket, gearbox, tie rods.

Overall it's a very reliable car if it's maintained well. Obviously my previous owner didn't. Because you're getting a 89 model, I'm guessing you're buying a non stock one? If anything I'd probably import a later model (93) but in stock form. They're fairly cheap to modify and get power from.

The only real weakness with the car would be the gearbox but that's only if you've got a lot of power.

Oh and this is my daily driver as I can't afford anything else. It is a pleasure to drive however in heavy traffic it becomes a burden.

If you're getting 3rd party only I'd at least get a tracking alarm like Quiktrack.

hmm. That doesn't sound real promising. I'm looking at a bog stock one. WHy do you think it would be non stock? They came out in 89 right?

Most of those repairs are fairly normalish, but I guess it's pretty unlucky to have them all go on you within a year. I suppose I'll have to be careful :P

but then again, ive had mine for 2 years and ive used it for a couple of track days and numerous autokhana events and not a thing on it has broken.

its had a very hard time and im very happy with it.

Shaun

I have had mine for around 5 months, and not a single weekend has passed where i haven't raped it. I never fail to service it. The only thing's that have gone wrong so far:

1. Bushes needed to be replaced

2. Stock suspension was crappo - Replaced it with Tein HE's

3. Gear socks were worn out - Replaced them with new leather items

4. Stock speakers were shot

And that's all! It really comes down to luck, how you maintain it, and i guess how the previous owner treated it.

But otherwise, as with every car - there will always be lemons. Skylines are generally quite a robust car. Good luck!

I have had mine for three and a bit years, the only thing I have had to replace mechanically was the turbo and the clutch. My diff is gettting a little knackerd now, but I guess its just wear and tear. Castor rods also needed replacing, as did the suspension and brake discs and pads

Mine has travelled close to 83,000km since I have had it (got it at 53,000, now 136,000. The best bit is that 40,000km have been done making 200rwkw, so its been very reliable I reckon.

I do a oil change with either Motul or Mobil 1 every 4-5000 as well, and keep everything topped up

The gearboxes are a weak link if drifting or dragging regularly, or if using R compound semi slicks, but they are as tough as most gearboxes going around, its just that the R33 GTS25T box is tougher again, so it makes the 32 box look a little weak. The upside to this is a decent 32 box should cost less than half of a decent 33 box if it ever does break

Most parts are cheap and plentiful too

Budget for a timing belt, and all fluids and brake pads to be changed I would say if you import a 89 model

Chris

Wow..that's pretty impressive guys!! You have sold me. Are the head gaskets pretty robust? If it has had crappy rusted water in for awhile and I flush out and give good coolant should it last a while (on stock boost)? I had heard they're pretty tough cars

Any of you 3rd party property them? Is a decent alarm a necessity - or can youi get away with various kill switches steering locks etc etc?

"Budget for a timing belt, and all fluids and brake pads to be changed I would say if you import a 89 mode"

Yes I will Chris - thanks. Are they an interference motor - as in if the timing belt breaks do you bend valves? I would do this anyway. I have the tools, does it take long to do on these motots, timing belt that is.

gtst89 - you've had a good run with yours - hope I can be so lucky (damn - that's a kylie minogue song :P , oh well she's pretty hot)

it all comes down to how well the car's been looked after. My wasn't all that good however it is a very reliable car, the only time I've broken down was when my alternator died and my battery went flat.

I wouldn't skimp on security if I were you. Skylines are often targets for thieves (just do a search for "stolen"). club locks and ignition barrel switches are easy to by pass. kill switches are only as good as they are hidden.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering what kind of fuel economy I can expect in not too heavy city driving - with the occassional gas. A friend with a soarer 2.5 t/turbo gets about 11-12 L/100kms so I was thinking maybe a litttle better that that?

2 litre turbo, should be ok on fuel? As long a s you don't gas it heaps?

My Corolla currently gets about 8L/100km..what do you think 30% more for petrol with the skyline?

should be around 12L/100kms. But that's with clean injectors, and O2 sensors.

That's not real good. Thought it would be a fair bit better than a commodore, I suppose commohores are about 13-14.

It's bad getting used to corolla economy - you become a tightarse

I average about 11 litres per 100kms......mainly to and from work

If I give it heaps on the weekend, i have have used as much as 25 litres per 100kms.....:cheers:

off boost they are ok, on boost they chew through a bit