SAU Community

max boost for RB20DET (internals only)

• 4 weeks later...
We have a ball bearing hi flowed RB25DET turbo on our RB20 DET and it makes 225 rwkw (~380 bhp) at 1.3 bar (19 psi).  It makes 165 rwkw (~300 bhp) at 0.9 bar (13 psi).

Thanks SK, I always wondered if in the real world 1PSI=10kW?

By your example it looks like a reasonable rule of thumb.

Now if I can just pump 50PSI into my RB20DET, I should be able to do 10's :D

Thanks SK, I always wondered if in the real world 1PSI=10kW?

By your example it looks like a reasonable rule of thumb.

Umm, not always. I have tried a larger turbo, one with more airflow, and it made more power at lower boost. But the average power was crap, so this one is faster. :rofl:

quote: LOL...get a TD06, makes 180something rwkws at 0.65bar. Only it needs 4500rpm to make that boost

If you have owned your car for a while and its been pretty healthy then id say you wont have any problems with 300hp. Whats that 190-200rwkws...

For Sale - Trust TD06-20G setup

Piccie HERE

its more like 220- 225rwkws

Doc, can you get your hands on a rb25 turbo at all as it might be an idea to bolt one on to get a different turbo responce going, also with the last dyno result you got it seems very low rwkw's for the mods you have, evey tuners guide and rb20det rwkw thread i've read seems to point to around the 160rwkw mark for the mods you have and a standard turbo running 14psi, get someone who can play with the link system to dyno the car for you as i think you get a much different result without to much stuffing around. (300fly wheel hp)

Matt....

The dyno reading was crap, he gets that power from manual HSVs with aftermarket computers extractors and cams. It was more power than he gets with VL turbos after installing IC and reprogramming. So his reading was shit. I rang the guy with the dyno and they get a reading of 150rwkw for a worked VY(?) Monaro with way over 300fwkw. So I don't think he knows what he is doing either.

I get 15psi at 3200 rpm so it isn't a huge turbo. I just don't know what it is but I know it has been rebuilt and there is nothing ceramic in it.

I get 15psi at 3200 rpm so it isn't a huge turbo. I just don't know what it is but I know it has been rebuilt and there is nothing ceramic in it.

post up some pics here say with it sitting next to the standard rb20det turbo someone may have a ruff idea, also with the supra fmic set up you have that might be keeping to much heat in the air as a mate here also runs one with his r31/rb20det and always runs hi-temp's, at least 20degrees higher than mine all the time. good luck with it all...

What has boost pressure got to do with coil packs?? RPM and coils are related but the amount of fuel and air being pushed in are nothing to do with the ignition.

BTW, the car crapped itself on Friday (dud wire going into the back of the EFI relay). While fixing it I found 2 boost leaks from the manifold to the charcoal canister. So I blocked one and rerouted the other to the BOV. It boosts damn hard now, it comes on like a kick up the backside.

Yeah, a RB20DET + TD06 running .65bar and making 300hp will not be as fast  as a RB20DET + RB25 turbo running closer to 1bar and making 300hp....

I dont think thats right? It only made 180something rwkws at 8 psi measured at the inlet manifold, and i can promise you it would blow the door off the std turbo running 14psi...so highly doubt it will have too much trouble with an RB20 running an RB25 turbo :D

Not saying its the greatest setup, but comparing it to an RB25 turbo is like chalk and cheese. :P And next time back for tuning it will be getting 18psi, then it will be half a quick car.

My TD06 20G LS2 (the more letters the better :D) on my RB20DET os getting tuned up at the moment.So far its only been boosted upto 10 psi (waiting for EBC) but at this its putting out 185rwkw. Once I have EBC ill get it tuned up to 18ish psi and post the results.

What has boost pressure got to do with coil packs??  RPM and coils are related but the amount of fuel and air being pushed in are nothing to do with the ignition.

BTW, the car crapped itself on Friday (dud wire going into the back of the EFI relay). While fixing it I found 2 boost leaks from the manifold to the charcoal canister.  So I blocked one and rerouted the other to the BOV.  It boosts damn hard now, it comes on like a kick up the backside.

Hey??? Can you please explain this a weee bit more??? IE which tubes to where, etc. Cause I swear Im missing something hey.