SAU Community

Hi, new to community

chopobo

Guest tgriffin

Driving an R33 GTS-T *normally* in the dry (I mean taking corners at equal to or less than the speed limit), is it common to lose the back? Or only in the wet?

Originally posted by Risto

majt buy a gts-t u wont regret it. i had no idea how to drive a manual  4 weeks ago  and i bought my gtst u learn quick trust me after u crunch the gears 100 times and release its costing u money ehehe u learn very fast + they nice and smooth  unlike some old et turbo ehehehe would shake rattle and role :) when u drive. just watch out its scary the first couple of times when u experience the boost kicking in, and as they have already told u watch out on the wet they slide out nicly,  but also they have great handling unlike VL's which would in most casses be uncontrolable when doing a stand still :P ud usually  loose into poll but id recomend u dont try doing one for a few months yet ehehe :mad:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drive a R33 GTST on my p's never been hassled about it even though i have been pulled over before.

Power to weight is a very grey area with cops. The most common way for them to check is by reading the VICRoads Restriced vehicle list of which the skyline is NOT on!!! Gotta love imports :)

Plus the road weight of a R33 is ****ing heavy so its really close to legal mark anyway...

no the handling is mad well i havent driven many cars but ive driven bout 7-8 different type includin xr8 and vl turbo i would say they r the best at handling thats why they are made for drifting very nice

also about been hassled buy cops u shouldnt have problem friday night i was driving down chapz unfortunatly i happend to stop infront of kfc due to traffic copper right next to me he just shined his torch inside of car to check for neons and guages then turned around if u dont drive dumb :) or have neons or guages like monsters on ur dashboard u should have no problem with cops

in no particular order

I personally am a confident driver

being a confident driver and a good driver are 2 different things especially someone who hasnt got their p's yet.... speaks for itself

really? What mods are these

if you place a sheet of metal with 19 10mm holes drilled into it and place it on the panel filter it will reduce the power to approx 133kw at the wheels a legal limit in a skyline for a p plater

Now i was wondering when i was talking with my friend about this issue. The factory r33 gts-t runs at 8psi so if i bring down the boost to 6 or 7 pis would that bring the kws?

dont touch the boost do the plate thing....8psi?

Driving an R33 GTS-T *normally* in the dry (I mean taking corners at equal to or less than the speed limit), is it common to lose the back? Or only in the wet?

it is very possible to drive a skyline in any condition and not be worried about losing it this comes with driving experience in your car...however once you get this experience you are more likely to want to make the back pop out in the wet....

Power to weight is a very grey area with cops. The most common way for them to check is by reading the VICRoads Restriced vehicle list of which the skyline is NOT on!!! Gotta love imports  

There is no such thing as a restricted vehicle list any more... this is the old method it purely goes on power to weight these days

if u dont drive dumb  or have neons or guages like monsters on ur dashboard u should have no problem with cops

Agreed!

being a confident driver and a good driver are 2 different things especially someone who hasnt got their p's yet.... speaks for itself

I agree totally.........

There's a big difference between confidence and competence.

(Just ask boxhead) :)

There is no such thing as a restricted vehicle list any more... this is the old method it purely goes on power to weight these days

There is a restricted vehicles list, and it is available from vicroads

From their site:

While you can drive most vehicles, you are not permitted to drive a high powered car. These are cars which have a power to weight ratio greater than 125 kilowatts per tonne or with a capacity to weight ratio of more than 3.5 litres per tonne. A list of cars which may not be driven is available from VicRoads Registration and Licensing offices.

P Plater restrictions

:(

While you can drive most vehicles, you are not permitted to drive a high powered car. These are cars which have a power to weight ratio greater than 125 kilowatts per tonne or with a capacity to weight ratio of more than 3.5 litres per tonne. A list of cars which may not be driven is available from VicRoads Registration and Licensing offices.

ok i currently stand corrected however when I was looking into this restricted vehicle list(4 months ago) i did read somewhere that the rule had infact changed and it purely went on the power to weight ratio....but it says on their site that it is still valid so I guess I am wrong...unless they havent updated their site?

Originally posted by chopobo

Now i was wondering when i was talking with my friend about this issue. The factory r33 gts-t runs at 8psi so if i bring down the boost to 6 or 7 pis would that bring the kws? and would vicroads accept this type of downtuning?

Technically, if you reduce the boost the car will be P plate legal. This is fine according to vicroads... if you can prove it. You'd need to ring 13 11 71 and ask for the Road Safety dept. They will prolly tell you you'll need an engineers certificate (for the mods), then prolly a dyno reading at the engine, and a roadworthy. After all that they'll put a notation on the system so whenever you're pulled up, the coppers can check the mods and make sure they're still in place. If they're not big fine then canary. Give em a call to confirm.

Here's how its worked out:

A high powered vehicle is any vehicle with a power to weight ratio over 125 kW per tonne, or with a capacity to weight Ratio over 3.5 litres per tonne.

The weight of a stock standard vehicle is measured in tonnes (1000 kg = 1 tonne) capacity is measured in litres (1000ml = 1 litre), and power is measured in kilowatts (kW).

The power to weight ratio (kW divide by Tonnes) must be 125kW or under.

The capacity to weight ratio (Liters/Tonnes) must be 3.5 litres or under.

Originally posted by R31 Skyline Chick

There is a restricted vehicles list, and it is available from vicroads  

It is still available, but its a bit useless. That list hasnt been updated since 1998 so the web page is a little misleading. The restriction now applies to any vehicle with more than 125kw per tonne (not just the ones on that list).

i've never heard of anyone getting into trouble for driving a car too powerful for them on their P's. theres hundreds of P platers driving wrx's, skylines etc. if u can afford the car then buy it, at most wack it under ur dads name to get it registered or something.

you can modify the car so it wont be as powerful yes.....modify it so it is legal to drive and then get insurance for it as a modified gtst. that can be done easily

does anyone know someone who has done this? I've tried to find out information about modification to lower the kw output and the insurance/legality around this but no-one seems to know much :D I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has found out if this is viable

Thanks,

Paul

Originally posted by mcmn

does anyone know someone who has done this? I've tried to find out information about modification to lower the kw output and the insurance/legality around this but no-one seems to know much :D I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has found out if this is viable  

Thanks,  

Paul

mate the insurance company isnt going to care how much power u have at the wheels.. for the pure fact that there are only a couple of companies that will insure u if ur under 25.

all they care about is the type of car, ur age, what mods u done to it etc...

if u wanna insure it ur better off getting a stock one to get the low premium and do it up as u go along and tell them the mods ur doing which will go towards the premium next year which will obviously be less as they go down each year (providing u havent claimed in that year)

all they care about is the type of car, ur age, what mods u done to it etc...

..get insurance, pay the preimum, then if a claim was made there not going to use the info provided to use a legal vic roads clause to get out of paying the claim? I'm sure it would be in the contract that all road rules have to be followed etc

i know a 20yo who had a 260kw 300zx and crashed it... was his fault but he wasnt speeding or anything in which case they fulfilled the claim... took a while but they did it.

im uninsured at the moment with my line... til i get rating 2 next year.

crazy mate, ur the first guy on this forum who i've heard that that they're not insured, i'm with you!!! i'm also uninsured :D at the time that i bought my car i didn't have enough funds to pay$2500 to just cars. then if something does happen u have to pay them the excess and then under age excess and import vehicle excess and crap so i decided it wasn't worth it. i really should hop onto 3rd party but i'm planning on selling soon so thats not worth it now either.

does anyone know someone who has done this? I've tried to find out information about modification to lower the kw output and the insurance/legality around this but no-one seems to know much  I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that has found out if this is viable

i did this to get insurance... with just cars as they wouldnt insure me as i wasnt off my p plates...

mate the insurance company isnt going to care how much power u have at the wheels.. for the pure fact that there are only a couple of companies that will insure u if ur under 25.

the insurance company cared in my case!

i know a 20yo who had a 260kw 300zx and crashed it... was his fault but he wasnt speeding or anything in which case they fulfilled the claim... took a while but they did it.

This is all good and well... most probably the insurance company will pay up if you are driving a car which is deemed too powerful however what happens if they look further into it and refuse eh??? there is no guarantee that they will pay!