SAU Community

R32 skyline vs Silvia (sr20det)

menco

I have owned both a 92 R32 GTST and a 94 180.

seats of the R32 are much better quality. performance in stock form is very similar, maybe the 180 is a bit quicker, although slower than a stock r33.

once you wind up the boost, get an safc, exhaust the 180 will rape both the 32 and 33 with similar mods down the 1/4, and be better around corners.

my suggetion is get a sr20 180, retrim the seats, nice wheels, a bit of boost and you have an awesome, reliable, fun street car.

although you cant go wrong with the 32 either as it would also be a fun car to have and modify

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I owned a S13 Silvia and now I own a R32GTS-T...

S13 was probably quicker down a straight line, however, you can't beat the build of a Skyline...

In my opinion my silvia just didn't cut it, the interior was bland, cheap and had no appeal.  Although I must admit I do like the SR20 powerplant better as it will eat an RB20 mod for mod everytime...

I ran my old Silvia with my Skyline and got my arse handed to me... But as I said the Skyline is a much better build, handles better and driving everyday is much much more comfortable...

Power/engine - Silvia

Build quality/handling - Skyline

if you're conflicted you can do what meggala did - transplant a SR20 into the R32 :P

marchGTR: BAAARP. Wrong.

I've found these quarter mile times to be very very consistant in many reviews and time slips for STOCK cars..

NISSAN Silvia/180sx S13 2L Turbo = 14.30 sec

NISSAN Skyline R32 GTS-T = 14.63 sec

NISSAN Skyline R33 GT-ST-25T = 14.4 sec

We may be talking tenths of a second, and I am not just an armchair expert, I have extensively driven rb20dets and owned an sr20det silvia for quite a few years (no longer).. the silvia is much quicker. The r32 has better seats.. big deal. Better seats does not equal better "Build Quality" in fact a lot of the plastics in both cars are the same.

The idea is, once you add the standard zorst, air pod, boost controller.. the silvia is a madman in comparison to those same mods done on the gtst.. I have had a few runs with gtst's in the past in my car and it was great fun leaving the skyline performance artillery *cough* in the dust :D

In that same breath I take my hat off to the mighty GTR :D

And as for handling, lower both cars and they will both handle great. The silvia is a power oversteerer, and must be driven accordingly.. Go look at some of the JDM videos.. i've seen heavily modified silvias kill modified GTRs (Read: Not Gts-ts) on tracks. :)

who here has actually driven both cars??

Ive driven both. Silvia, 180SX and even an S14 all stock:)

Im not disagreeing with Pentae...but S13s feel ordinary when being flung thru corners when std. I drove the same Silvia with susp mods and was much improved, but nothing like my car with a Whiteline setup. Drive my flatmates std susp 180SX only reminds me how ordinary a 10yr old cars susp is.

So not just model of cars but condition plays a big part.

As for straight line poke, S14s are definitely quicker, but my thinking is the S13 has perhaps a very small advantage when std, so little i think its condition & driver dependant. But with exhaust, cooler and boost the S13 walks away from the R32. :D

But then you consider the build quality, (close the door in each, hit a few bumps and you will soon feel there is a big difference in chassis rigidity) climate control typically ABS and absolutely kick ass brakes...and the R32 has it all over an S13.

And if you ever decide to go crazy with performance, the wioshbone vs strut and bigger RB motors mean you can get very serious very quickly.

Ive talked to a couple of others and some say that the r32 is nicer car to drive, faster, stops better. Whereas the silvia is a bit easier to get the ass end out. My car now steps the ass end out quiet easily and must say im not a fan of it i like it to be a bit more controlled dont get me wrong drifting is fun but only when i really want it too. I like to be able to put the power down at times without the ass sliding.

I guess i will have to drive both but its kinda hard when there arent many for sale in my area nor do i know people with these cars.

Has anyone here imported an r32?

I found the R33's to be quicker in dead stock form but as soon as you slap an exhaust and a bit of boost in to both the R33 and R32 the R32 is quite a bit quicker.

I put this down to the crappy ecu dips the R33's have when boosted a little.

BUT.. then you sort the ecu out on both the 33 and the 32 and the 33 leaves the 32 for dead.

menco:  

Yeah there are many more r32 gtsts for sale than sr20dets.. the sr20s are a lot rarer.

Looks like you made up your mind before you started this thread..

Why did you start the thread?

I had my mind set on an s13 but then i realised during the thread that hey r32's arent much more expensive these days and they look alot better so i just thought id find abit about the handling and engine seeing as this is a skyline site.

Looks is a personal choice/opinion.

I've had an R32 GTST.. I liked the way it looked.

I don't really like the S13's simply cause I don't like the way they look.

But the whole interior is crap thing is a waste of time..

and so are stock comparisons..

S13 interior.. main problem are the crap seats and colour right?

S14/S14A/S15 interiors front and rear are direct bolt ons. go find a S15 GT interior in leather and stick it in the S13.. problem solved.

And how many STOCK silvia's or skylines do you fin these days?

NONE!!!

if you like the look of the R32 then there is no use looking at the silvia cause you have already made up your mind.

In terms of mods, the S13 silvia (at 1190kg) with the same mods done as to the r32 gtst will be quicker.

same suspension mods to both and the silvia will handle better..

So apart from looking better (personal opinion) the R32 GTST has NOTHING on the silvia's..

When you get to levels of 250rwkw, then there MAY be advantages the RB MIGHT have over the SR... but apart from that, the Silvia always comes up on top in terms of performance of any sort.. straight, twisty..

and things like brakes and so on are cheaply upgradeable on the silvia's so this is nothing to worry about..

It depends what your looking at, Both are quick cars and so theres hardly a difference, especially when you start modifying it.

Also, you must consider how much its going to cost to maintain, both are imports so parts will be hard to get, but i think the silvia will have more parts available as the SR20DET is a local engine (200sx) and so it is cheaper to run.

I've been wheighing the choice of whether to get a r33 or s14. I spoke to a relative who owned one (r33) and he said to go the s14 as both are quick cars, but the s14 is alot cheaper to run as the SR20 is a tiny bit stronger than the rb20 or RB25.

I'd go the silvia but hey don't get my wrong a 32 would be just as awesome, it might just be maintainance thats a biatch

It depends what your looking at, Both are quick cars and so theres hardly a difference, especially when you start modifying it.

Also, you must consider how much its going to cost to maintain, both are imports so parts will be hard to get, but i think the silvia will have more parts available as the SR20DET is a local engine (200sx) and so it is cheaper to run.

I've been wheighing the choice of whether to get a r33 or s14. I spoke to a relative who owned one (r33) and he said to go the s14 as both are quick cars, but the s14 is alot cheaper to run as the SR20 is a tiny bit stronger than the rb20 or RB25.  

I'd go  the silvia but hey don't get my wrong a 32 would be just as awesome, it might just be maintainance thats a biatch

I've never had a problem getting parts for my S13, just go to your local Nissan dealer and they can get most parts within a few days.

Since when is a R33 GTST quicker than an R32 GTST?

Those times are all wrong, coming from someone who owned an R32GTST and an SR20DET S13 and was about to buy an R33.

S13 = fastest  

R32 = next fastest

R33 = slowest

This goes for stock cars.

Yep, but who leaves their cars stock?? :D

I think the more you mod them, the more that order changes....

Yep, but who leaves their cars stock?? :D

I think the more you mod them, the more that order changes....

Its also who tunes it, if you spend heaps of money on a respected brand eg. HKS and then get some sh*t for brains mechanic to install it, you've wasted your money. Its also the driver, remember theres always going to be a corner. They're all good cars its more just personal opinion if anything.

I would consider the application.

If your 6ft+ or a bit of a fat ass, forget the silvia (like it's name implies it's for little people with girlish frames).

The R32 is larger, the R33 larger and more comfortable again.

The S13 is a fast little car out of the box, with some mucking around and small number of mods they are capable of low 13's, without major upgrades. The R33 and R32's have been known to go just as fast in a straight line with similar mods and the R33 is the quickest of the lot with a stock turbo equiped unit able to grab 12's. If the option is there for a GTS4 turbo that would be an easy pick, you have a GTR's running gear minus the engine. A great starting point.