SAU Community

Legally engineering the cefiro.

someonestolecc

Hello,

I will now embark on the fun journey of legally engineering my cefiro.

This will be a thread that I will update till i've got a certificate or someone tells me to STFU.

On the agenda-

1- add resonator (gotta get that 90db)

2- 100mm ground clearance on everything on the car (except wheels and tyres)

3- make the crank case not vent to atmosphere (im still trying to work this one out)

4- add a small plate and weld to my bride seat rail so the 4th hole/bolt lines up

5- add front indicators (just to be on the safe side)

6- investigate my tyres/wheels and see if they're legal

there.. .that doesn't sound so hard?

Now - first things first. Number 6.

Can anyone tell me, according to this - http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/dow.../vsi09_rev4.pdf

If my wheels are too big? I think they're 18x8.5 all round. I can't figure out the maximum plus this plus that add and subract if you have x y z... What's the maximum legal wheel size on a cefiro (according to the placard)?

Will I need to get a GTR (or even GTST) placard to stick on?

Hmm - Help!

Mate, I would get #4 sorted out ASAP. It might be safe but it might also be a deathtrap....you never know when an accident might happen :( If you can't do it any other way, powerplay have bride rails for sale that should bolt up properly.

For #6 the only rule in NSW is 1" wider than what your tyre placard says. The diameter can be anything you like so 18s are fine.

I'm not sure if 15yo imports have a tyre placard though? What is the process, did you get the car engineered to register it? If it was engineered with those wheels and tyres they are legal.

True Duncan I will - I'm just waiting to figure out who can weld it (who has some engineering knowledge).. should be like $20 I'm hoping versus the $300 for rails.

It says 2" in that document that's linked-

Unladen weight = 1201kg & over

Allowable rim width increase above the widest optional

wheel available for the axle assembly used = 51mm (2 inches)

Note: 25mm increase in wheel track limit also applies

I have NFI what wheel track is and how to measure it off standard.

No idea about the tyre placard I haven't looked for one yet (will tonite tho). And no I don't think it was complied with these wheels on it. Worse come to worst I will use stock cefiro wheels of some sort if someone can lend them to me but ideally I'd like my car engineered as it's driven!

Also, stfu sweetcheeks

Well. That ends my documentation of engineering. :Owned:

yup, 2 inches for the axle assembly means 1 inch wider each side. And the bit about wheel track is talking about the distance between the outside edges of the wheels, it can only be 1" wider which is 1/2' either side....so if a wheel is 1" wider it should be 1/2" on either side of the hub (hope that made sense)

but none of this matters if an engineer approves the wider rims.....

tyre placard if you have one will be on on the edge of the drivers door frame, i suspect there wont be one.

BTW talk to your chosen engineer about your questions, they will tell you what you need to have it approved :P

THanks Duncan that made no sense what-so-ever :P

From what I can gather the wheels would be wider than stock more than 1 and 2" anyway so I don't need to understand I just know the wheels are too big.

I thought there is a size even engineers can't certify isn't there?

THanks Jaik - how do I do that? Into the turbo that doesn't sound good at all - could you explain this to me a little more please?

Vent your crank case to the inlet on the turbo.

Thanks I get it now - too_much mentioned the same thing (i think) on our meet so now I jsut have to figure it out without butchering the pipe.

Also point number 4 has been solved as too_much has swapped me a rail for the a31 - woohoo thanks too_much!