SAU Community

Skyline vs Supra

SliM

Hey i am only 18 and new to the scene so be nice :)

Quick question which wins, if they r stock.........i know it is a very general question but still fun to discuss.............also if you didnt have a line would u buy one??? What is wrong with them besides the fact that they arent Skyline's????????

so yeah whack away gents.....................

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two different approaches to the "GT" car... I take the Skyline simply because the Supra *should* be lighter/more nimble for what it is. The 2JZ though is awesome and deserves as much credit as the RB26 IMO.

ya i'm the same Dan. I nearly bought one cos i think they're sweet - quick, look neat, but are too common.

So i got a R34 - quick (not as quick as supra), look real neat, but are alot rarer than the supra.

I reckon most pple will agree that they are more a Grand Tourer than an outright sportscar,

in this sense the skyline is prob closer to being a sportscar.

Actually i do think their weights are rather similar esp when comparing a gtr to a supra rz?

how porky is a supra anyway?

Hi guys; I have 2 comments that I think sum it up;

1.Supra was built for the American market, while the GTR was built to win Group A races.

2.Supra has turbos on the wrong side for Australia and Japan, while the GTR has Turbos on the correct side.

:)

1.Supra was built for the American market, while the GTR was built to win Group A races.

2.Supra has turbos on the wrong side for Australia and Japan, while the GTR has Turbos on the correct side.

:D

So what do you think about the supra sydneykid?

Attributes? Faults?

I reckon most pple will agree that they are more a Grand Tourer than an outright sportscar,

in this sense the skyline is prob closer to being a sportscar.

Actually i do think their weights are rather similar esp when comparing a gtr to a supra rz?

how porky is a supra anyway?

WTF? A Skyline is every bit a tourer if not more so than a Supra - being that it has more sizable rear seats. The Supra is lighter than GT-Rs, in some cases by near 100kg.

Supras make more power than the equivalent mod GT-Rs, so that paired up with more gears, lighter weight and a much more solid power delivery you end up with something that accelerates pretty awesomely hard. Sure, a GT-R is typically quicker down the drag strip - but I've seen a nice video of a GTR and a Supra with similar mods (Best Motoring) doing a standing km race with 1/4mile marked off. The GTR got to the 1/4 mile mark first, and the Supra walked past it not long afterwards... making the gap bigger and bigger as it goes.

I'd prefer a GT-R, but thats just because of taste - the "Concept" of the Supra I prefer... stronger bigger engine in a lighter chassis, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with ATTESA.

After watching alot of d1, hot version etc etc, i have found that jap have a tend to remove the 2jz or 1jz engine and use the rb26 more offen then not - just abit of food for through

Im a fan of the school supra mk3, they are nice cars, the mk4 just alittle to big for my like though they look awsome looks like a factor wide-body kit :D

i have never been in a mk4 yet, so i cant comment on it but i own a r33 gts-t and fine it a dream to drive

WTF?  A Skyline is every bit a tourer if not more so than a Supra - being that it has more sizable rear seats.  The Supra is lighter than GT-Rs, in some cases by near 100kg.

Supras make more power than the equivalent mod GT-Rs, so that paired up with more gears, lighter weight and a much more solid power delivery you end up with something that accelerates pretty awesomely hard.  Sure, a GT-R is typically quicker down the drag strip - but I've seen a nice video of a GTR and a Supra with similar mods (Best Motoring) doing a standing km race with 1/4mile marked off.  The GTR got to the 1/4 mile mark first, and the Supra walked past it not long afterwards... making the gap bigger and bigger as it goes.

I'd prefer a GT-R, but thats just because of taste - the "Concept" of the Supra I prefer... stronger bigger engine in a lighter chassis, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with ATTESA.

i think this is a mistake most people take, taking a gtr v's a supra at the drags has more to do with the driver than anything; its very hard to compair the too together and im pretty sure supra weight in the 1500,1600 mark and gtr start from 1400 from r32 and make it way to just around the 1500 mark for the r34

:D

why do you say they are on the wrong side?

why is there a wrong side for turbos? do you mean from a HEAT from exhaust point of view?

SK - do you have any experience in the 2jzgte and what is your impression of it?

I have my own opinion but you do have a shit load more experience in the technical side of things.

so can you see any downsides to the supra engine apart from the ceramic wheeled turbos?

do you see any weak points in them like you see in the SR20's rockers?

As for my option, I'd take the supra TT over both the GTST and GTR..

I just don't like the 4wd thing anymore.. been burnt once too many times..

and you can't compare a GTST to a supra TT.. there is no contest

NOTE: I still love GTR's but don't want to own one.

i think this is a mistake most people take, taking a gtr v's a supra at the drags has more to do with the driver than anything; its very hard to compair the too together and im pretty sure supra weight in the 1500,1600 mark and gtr start from 1400 from r32 and make it way to just around the 1500 mark for the r34

Nononono.... the manual Supras are all under 1500kg, R32 GTR is ~1480kg, the rest are above 1500kg - and the Supras have less drivetrain losses.

I've been in a couple of lightly modded JZA80 Supras, and in various GTRs from stock standard to VERY modded - and I've got to say in terms of in gear acceleration, in my experience an R32 GTR with intake, exhaust, 1bar and tuned PFC is probably comparative to a Supra with intake and exhaust on stock ECU. On a track strip the R32 would make the Supra look stupid though.

im pretty sure supra weight in the 1500,1600 mark and gtr start from 1400 from r32 and make it way to just around the 1500 mark for the r34

You must have been thinking of the JZA70 ones, JZA80 are slightly lighter then a BCNR33. Supras have a mighty fine engine and just as bulletproof but IMHO the handling needs to be addressed if you want to do some decent times at the track. On the drag strip never doubt them.

JZA80 (2JZ-GTE) are 1490-1510kg (6MT), 1500-1510kg (4AT)

JZA70 (7M-GTEU) are 1560-1600kg (5MT), 1560-1600kg (4AT)

JZA70 (1JZ-GTE) are 1520-1580kg (5MT), 1520-1580kg (4A)

GA70 are 1440-1530kg (5MT), 1460-1550kg (4AT)

Evo_Lee,

maybe you can asnwer this, as i said above alot of jap cars take out the 2jz etc engine and use a rb26. In HPI v8 there was a chaser which had swap the 1jz and use a rb26 to reach tehre 1000ps goal.

Also i have been watching a few hot version and they also had a few simlia type toy cars with rb26 in them

After watching alot of d1, hot version etc etc, i have found that jap have a tend to remove the 2jz or 1jz engine and use the rb26 more offen then not - just abit of food for through
The RB26 has made it's way into just about every RWD platform over here, more of a "look I did it!" type thing than actually using the RB26 for any huge performance advantages (when installed in a car that had a 2JZ). Although Top Secret have made it clear in the past that the RB26 was just soooo much easier to work with than the 2JZ in their original RB26 JZA80.

Having said that I agree with Sydneyskid about the turbos being on the wrong side on the 2JZ :D, also the "back to back" turbo setup on the earlier twin turbo engines (like on FD3Ss) are a bit wack... Nissan got it right the first time.

Not to get off topic.. but considering the price ranges of both the R33 GTR and the Supra ZR.. it would be interesting to see where a RX7 s6-s8 would sit as an alternative.. or at least v. close competitor to the soop?

Not to get off topic.. but considering the price ranges of both the R33 GTR and the Supra ZR.. it would be interesting to see where a RX7 s6-s8 would sit as an alternative.. or at least v. close competitor to the soop?

Theres a good question.... whole new can of worms even :uh-huh:

I'd got with the Series 8 FD myself :wave: