SAU Community

Legal Drag Strips: Victoria says its unlikely

krzysiu

Just heard on the news about people wanting a drag strip to be set up for legal drags. Word is that NSW and other states have one and it decreased the ammount of illegal street racing. They say the cost of the new drag strip would cost $20 million and that the Victorian government doesnt want to do it. Looks like they prefer to see people dragging illegally than on the strip...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No respect for the labour governmetn any more, all they care about is making money.

They introduced the 3kmh tolerance level

The billions of speed cameras everywhere

Scoresby freeway = payway

The amount of money that they make simply through camera fines is more than enough to build a decent drag strip thats accesable to people in melb, particually the eastern side. But of course that will never happen because they dont have common sense

the victorian governmnet will never implement such an idea. The Bracks government has taken an almost zero tolerance policy to "hoons" and putting in a drag strip would complete contradict their policies. I admitt they are a bunch of wankers and should spend a fraction of their revenue on the drag strip but itll never happen...

Calder? Heathcote Park?

There are off-street drag strips available.

I was thinking the same thing...................

Guess some people are too lazy and tight to participate in their motorsport in a legal fashion, and use phrases like "It's too far" or "costs too much" to justify their illegal activities. Yet these are the same inexperieced people that will be the first ones to cry when they get caught.

If you think $50 is too expensive to enter Calder/Heathcote (+ $10-$20 fuel), than you are basically saying that' your life and the lives of the spectators are not worth $70, when something goes wrong.

GROW UP AND TAKE IT OFF THE STREETS!

I myself have gone to Sandown (i live in the western suburbs) two weekends in a row, to support the SAU team. Hopefully i will be joining them for the next one. When you are serious about something, a 45-60min drive will not stop you.

Alan

Dude, it's never going to be free. Nothing's free. Unless you plan on taking out a few innocent lives in the process. And whatever damage to your car as well.

Pay up at Calder/Heathcote/Sandown/PI/ at drag/drift to your heart's content.

Calder? Heathcote Park?

There are off-street drag strips available.

LOL... thats too easy! What about guys like yourself who surrender countless hours to help with days like the NDSOC Driver Training Day, then ppl complain its too hard to get to the track:(. Dont know what you think, but i think its borderline insulting to the guys behind the scences keeping our car clubs alive.

Street racers think they are akin to modern day knights battling for glory, when really its protracted suicide.;) Cool if thats what you want to do, i seriously have no problem with it. I dont agree with it, but i aint going to change your mind. But dont say that you are driven to it as there are no facilities or no ppl facilitating club level motorsport for the average punter:)

LOL..some ppl have $50-$200 (maybe more) worth of sticker on their cars! LOL whats more fun a day/night at the track or slapping vinyl on your car. ?

Harsh? Maybe. But i cant see why ppl spend thousands on their cars to stop, turn, accelerate and then think $50-125 is too much money to actually use it. And as a daily driver a stock Skyline is way nicer to drive then a modded one. Save perhaps some wheels and slightly lower springs.

Western Sydney International Dragstrip (WSID) was largely a result of guys like Jim Read with help from the govt. We already had a drag strip for the street guys, but it didnt have ANDRA licence for 'REAL' drag racing. Plus the use of the old strip meant turn 1 at Eastern Creek was hairy in the wet as a result of all the traction compund etc.

So as for Vic govt building you a 3rd one? Id say you have no chance. Hell Vic has two dragstrips, 4 circuits, numerous hill climb, skidpan and driver training facilities. Car enthusiasts have no right to complain about facilities in this state. Too far, hell the the trips away to Winton and Phillip Island have been some of the best weekends away ive had this year.:(:):alcoholic:

Sorry if i sound like a nazi, but ppl... go join your local car club, you will be amazed how many things are available to you.:P

Why do you think the government doesnt want to do it? because it will cost money for them...

You're carrying on like there are no current facilities.

Be thankful that we have the places that we already do.

LOL... thats too easy! What about guys like yourself who surrender countless hours to help with days like the NDSOC Driver Training Day, then ppl complain its too hard to get to the track:(. Dont know what you think, but i think its borderline insulting to the guys behind the scences keeping our car clubs alive.
Thanks for the support, Roy.

Not only do we have the facilities already, but it's just a lazy excuse to say 'it's too far' 'too expensive'. Unfortunately these all come with the costs of owning such a car. What's $50-100 compared to more EPAs, Speeding fines and damage to your car and lives lost?

I don't mean to be blunt. I know the Bracks govt sucks and police here abuse their powers, but it's no excuse to say since the govt isn't going to build a track means - "It's time to hit the streets!". It's like because your mum doesn't want to buy you a new toy because she doesn't want to spoil you, you'll say 'that's ok I'll go steal one for myself".

And don't vote Labour the next time!! :cheers: I thought Kennettt was pretty good..but I digress. And I'll quote INASNT: "that's what you get for voting a Leb". Hahahh ok I digress again....

:werd:

I used to bitch about sandown but after getting out there it's an awesome track and sooooo close. The noise coming out of there on the club days was compareable with the noise coming from the roads out the front, in other words minimal. I can't see there being any issues for NDSOC etc. setting up future club days which is great news for all concerned.