SAU Community

dash/main console respray...PICS??

mufro

hey guys, i got my r33 and i'm looking to colour code the interior to a certain colour (atm thinking dark/royal blue). just wondering if anyone had pictures of custom interiors of skylines such as resprayed dash's n stuff like that.

would be greatly appreciated

thankyou, michael

• 2 weeks later...

should be a link to it on the front page.

heres mine from a few months ago, though it looks better now both inside and out.

http://www.pbase.com/yld_sky/image/30477125

http://www.pbase.com/yld_sky/image/30477141

http://www.pbase.com/yld_sky/image/30718473

http://www.pbase.com/yld_sky/image/30718475

at the moment my a-pillars, rear plastics, including doors, and glovebox are in my garage, im just waiting for the current coat to dry. should look really nice once its done. i was thinking about doing the entire interior in creme but im just going to leave the dash vinyl and front door vinyl black, and do the rest in creme, also the handbrake boot and centre console cover are about to be re-done with new parts in black.

1. The easiest way to paint your dash is to remove the parts that you want to spray. (This saves you having to tape up other parts and getting overspray elsewhere).

2. Clean the dash with wax/grease remover. Wipe clean with a dry cloth.

3. Prime the plastic/vinyl with suitable primer. Let dry. There is specific plastic primer available.

4. Spray 1 thin and even coat of plastic/vinyl spray paint. Let dry for 1/2 hour to 1 hour. Spray 2nd coat and let dry. Do not attempt to put your dash back together while it's wet!

6. If you want to protect your new paint work use a clear spray over the top. This comes in high gloss for a nice shiny finish, or matt to keep the original plastic look.

* Shake aerosol can for 2-4 minutes.

* Test spray and get the feel for the spray can (how far away to spray etc)

...also depending on the aerosol can you are using, if it is possible to purchase spray nozzles for your can...do so! They give you a lot more control. (If you want some info on where to buy quality, pm me).

4. Spray 1 thin and even coat of plastic/vinyl spray paint. Let dry for 1/2 hour to 1 hour. Spray 2nd coat and let dry. Do not attempt to put your dash back together while it's wet!  

As a long time fan of the airbrush, I'd like to emphasise heiress' excellent point. THIN coats. I know you really really really want it to look good right away, but please resist the temptation to do only one or two big (read:thick) coats. A large number of very thin coats will serve you well, avoid paint runs, and produce a smoother finish. I'd also suggest that after a few coats, let it dry completely (at least 24h, longer if it's enamel), then use some 1200 or preferably 2000 grade wet'n'dry (make sure you're using lots of water) to smooth out the finish and to avoid any 'orange peel' or other surface imperfections.

Mark

• 1 month later...
Hi mate where bouts do you go for quality paints etc i am considering in the future to do mine

Heya, you can visit --->

Monty's Auto Colour

625 Albany Highway Victoria Park

They open 10am-5:00pm Mon-Fri and sat 10am-3:00pm

Ask for Natalie and let her know you're from sau for trade prices :(