SAU Community

Waiting For A Car? - The State Of Importing Cars From Japan ATM

RBN1

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on which port, it seems he is refering to Yokohama and RORO.

Osaka, Kobe and Nagoya are fine AFAIK, we just have more ports here in the Central West :P. They are also busy, well due to the usual busy time of season.

Containers are also OK, that is if your willing to pay the extra. We've organised all our containers to leave for Perth and Sydney at the end of the month and another shipment in December.

Don't forget they don't completely fill up the carrier leaving Japan as some carriers stopover other countries to load other cargo.

My car is at Yokahoma docks and I get the impression from prestige that theres a longg waiting list :P

I'm finding out from prestige how much extra it will cost on top of normal shipping costs for a container, and how much quicker this will speed things up...

Evo Lee, we do container runs almost every month, and trust me they're not fun...

there:

a) getting money off people who buy stuff

B) packing and unpacking

c) customs clearance, invoicing and itemising for customs

d) possible redlining for random checks

etc etc, its a headache if you don't know how to do it properly.

The guys at jspec are working on a possible alternative to containerisation... they'll let their customers know as soon as they have confirmation from the shipping agents.

Evo Lee, we do container runs almost every month, and trust me they're not fun...

there:

a) getting money off people who buy stuff

B) packing and unpacking

c) customs clearance, invoicing and itemising for customs

d) possible redlining for random checks

etc etc, its a headache if you don't know how to do it properly.

The guys at jspec are working on a possible alternative to containerisation... they'll let their customers know as soon as they have confirmation from the shipping agents.

I know, so why don't you ask them to pay up first...we do unless it's an established customer.

Custom clearance and paperwork is all part of what you charge them so can't be complaining there.

i Hope they get something worked out fast, I really need my car.

the datto wagon is failing fast, and I can't stand not having my car. this has drawn out to a length of time I never pictured when I started. sold my GTST in may, waiting on my november build now ;) but withi shipping its probably not gonna be here for xmas

mark

Mr r32: stop your sooking... you saved 10k by having to put up with the wait.

With the money you save by importing it yourself (as opposed to buying here locally) you could buy a very decent runabout to get yourself around in until the gtr arrives.

;)

Well at this point, if its not going to turn up until jan, then I think I can whinge

I didn't expect to have to wait so long, Although from some horror stories I have seen recently (going to workshops and talking to people) I have heard of 2 89 GTRs that were tested as ok in japan, got here and the engines blew, one siezed completely.

after going through all this waiting and stuff, I would just have bought a 92/93 model that was already here for a few K more then what this is costing me for full servicing and complance when it lands here anyway

the whole point was saving money, so I didn't want to spend more then 1K on a runabout I was just going to give away at th end of 6 months anyway

thankyou for listening and your comments(didn't mean to sound angry or anything)

Mark

Any other punters out there hoping for a ship before Christmas, the window of opportunity is rapidly closing. At best guess, it'll need to be on a ship within seven to ten days...

Well here's hoping for a Christmas present, though it seems reduced import duties is going to be the only present we'll see. :(Hey NGK, I look forward to you charging me wharf fees because you decided not to load my booked vehicle. Please feel free to increase shipping charges 15% to Australians who would really like to see their car. Thank you gentlemen

Cheers guys, I hope those that have cars booked get them onboard.

Mark

edit: Good news Gary. It's good to hear that some vehicles are actually moving

I hope you have better luck than me. My car (1989 R32 GTR) has supposedly been here since september. I haven't seen it, nor have I managed to get any sought of straight answer as to what the hold up is (it was first registered in August so it has definately passed its 15 yo birthday) I have now had my solicitor onto it for the last three weeks trying to organise the cars release but who knows. Anyways goodluck!