SAU Community

Tomei 2.8 stroker kit for RB26?

Dror

Does anyone have any info on this kit. As far as I can tell it is about $8000 in Aus which seems fairly reasonable compared to the price of other Jap stroker kits for GTR`s. Are the components of lower quality than other brands or have they just tried to be more competitive with the pricing?

Cheers, Dror

I don`t know if it would fit or not but I don`t think i would want to spin a crank out of a diesel to 9000rpm. Those engines redline at about 4500. I was more interested in info on the Tomei kit in particular.

The package includes a forged crank, forged h-beam rods, forged pistons and spacers for the oil squirters. I don`t know what size the pistons are. That was one of the things that I was hoping someone would know. I was a bit off on the price aswell, it is actually $8400 plus gst but I would think that you could get it for a bit less than full retail.

Ok lemme ask you this then...

The stroke goes from ~73mm to ~86mm.

What does this do to revvability? Can you still get an RB30DET up to 8,000rpm?

T

Similar stroke to OS Giken 3 litre and they rev to 10,000 rpm.:)

Does anyone have any info on this kit. As far as I can tell it is about $8000 in Aus which seems fairly reasonable compared to the price of other Jap stroker kits for GTR`s. Are the components of lower quality than other brands or have they just tried to be more competitive with the pricing?

Cheers, Dror

For 8k,,, i think the main different is the Crank as Full counter or Half Counter,,,, if you compare those to HKS or JUN price.

Similar stroke to OS Giken 3 litre and they rev to 10,000 rpm.:)

the whole RB30 thing seems great as an alternative. more cubes, what could the problem be?

1. no problem in GTSt as I understand, but still seems to be relatively untried in GTRs and i've heard on an number of occasions that RB30 blocks can crack in 4 wd GTRs unless you spend big $ to prep them correctly. although I don't know SST his comment seems consistent with what I have heard.

2. what workshop can build a good RB26/30 in Australia? ie one that will last for years if street driven and thrashed occasionally. the ones I've spoken to ie ADVAN, AVO etc have all said that it's not as simple as it seems and to do it properly is an absolute heap of $, to the point that it makes the figures spoken of here for the 2.8 kit seem cheap. Better if you can spanner it yourself of course but then see 1.

3. I admire people who do what seems like a straightforward RB26/30 conversion but there seems to be a lot of questions unanswered - hence the HUGE number of posts on the RB30 conversion thread.

don't get me wrong i'm sure some people can build great engines but there are still too many unknowns, making (I think) the 2.8 option better in the long run.

Cheers

the whole RB30 thing seems great as an alternative. more cubes, what could the problem be?  

1.  no problem in GTSt as I understand, but still seems to be relatively untried in GTRs and i've heard on an number of occasions that RB30 blocks can crack in 4 wd GTRs unless you spend big $ to prep them correctly. although I don't know  SST his comment seems consistent with what I have heard.  

2. what workshop can build a good RB26/30 in Australia? ie one that will last for years if street driven and thrashed occasionally. the ones I've spoken to ie ADVAN, AVO etc have all said that it's not as simple as it seems and to do it properly is an absolute heap of $, to the point that it makes the figures spoken of here for the 2.8 kit seem cheap. Better if you can spanner it yourself of course but then see 1.  

3.  I admire people who do what seems like a straightforward RB26/30 conversion but there seems to be a lot of questions unanswered  - hence the HUGE number of posts on the RB30 conversion thread.  

don't get me wrong i'm sure some people can build great engines but there are still too many unknowns, making (I think) the 2.8 option better in the long run.  

Cheers

We have built 4 race RB30/26's for use in GTR's/GTS4's and personally I have done 2. One, in a road R32 GTR, has done over 70,000 k's. Nizpro and RIPS in NZ, for example, have done many more than that. I don't understand what you mean by "a lot of questions unanswered". Ask the questions that concern you, there are plenty of people who can answer them.

There are a huge number of people that have been building big horsepower RB30 bottom ends in Australia (and NZ) for more than 15 years. There are no secrets there anymore. The availability of RB26 top ends is definitely the icing on the cake.

The "huge number of posts on the RB30 thread" is because it is SUCH a good idea SO many people want to get into it.

Cost is the winner, I bought all the parts necessary for a 900 bhp capable RB31 (3.1 litre) bottom end (including the RB30 block and crank) for less than half what the 2.8 litre kit costs. The machining, assembly, bearings, seals and gaskets would cost the same. In fact, such is the commonality of the RB30, the gasket and seal kits are much cheaper than RB26 kits. RIPS sell an off the shelf 4wd sump adaptor for RB30 blocks, our race team fabricator made ours in one day. Plus I had an RB26 bottom end to sell (I used the top end of course).

I am not picking on the retail/imported parts outlets, but you should keep in mind that they have stuff to sell. Why wouldn't they tell you a 2.8 litre kit is a better idea? There is nothing in it for them if you go RB30, they know full well that you can get great quality local stuff much cheaper for RB30's.

Hope that is of some help:cheers:

2. what workshop can build a good RB26/30 in Australia? ie one that will last for years if street driven and thrashed occasionally.

Well down here in Melb the best guy to build an RB30DET is Ben from Racepace Motorsport. He has one in his 33 GTR. It is an absolute weapon that is tracked, driven and thrashed on many occassions. Has built many others and if i was doing one, i wouldnt hesitate to go to him because i know it will be quality.

I have been down the track of the RB30 bottom end. I had prices from two credible workshops to supply a prepped block and crank girdle/adaptor and they ranged from $5-$7k and thats before you buy a crank, rods and pistons so I don`t see how that comes out any cheaper. It seems that a lot of workshops will tell you how cheap this conversion is untill you actually come to do it and the price doubles.

I realise that they can rev the OS Giken RB30 to 10,000rpm but I don`t think you can compare a standard RB30 block and crank to the sleeved block and high end forged crank of the OS kit. I have heard that the standard RB30 crank is forged but I doubt it matches the quality of the OS crank.

If anyone can do the RB30 conversion for a guaranteed price and quality I would be more than happy to talk to them. I just hate getting nasty surprises when it comes time to fork out the dollars.

Cheers, Dror

Sydneykid how high can u rev your RB30 i want to do an rb 30 upgraded in my GTR. The car will be street and track driven and will most likey use a GTRS turbo kit and os cross mission gear set and the rest to make it run day in day out.