SAU Community

Oh the JOY

Guest MRE

Well I just installed a Boost gauge and a 2-Stage Turbo Smart controller.

Stock boost was running 5psi and spiking to 6psi between 6000-7500 rpm's.

Now running 10psi low boost, 12psi hi boost with no spike.

The boost seems to come on lower down in the rpm.

I think I have just become a boost freak........what a rush.

BTW a big thanks to 51Jay and Co. for helping me put it in.

So guys, running stock intercooler on the car? Are you getting the big slump in boost around 4-5000RPM like I hear the R33 will do if theres no aftermarket ECU? Or is that only when going over 12PSI?

Hmm... I might go for a quick cheapo boost upgrade while I save up for my FMIC, PFC and AVC-R if the drivability is still good.

Need to get my HiTech exhaust ordered and on there.. stock system is strangling the engine I am sure :)

About to increase boost to 10-12psi also. Wondering how the cars handling the hot weather. I'm feeling a definite decrease in power (boost stock 5-6psi). Are you feeling any changes at 10-12psi, like is the engine trying too hard at higher RPM??

Doubling boost---can't wait.

Oz.

I've got a blitz dual sbc type s. It electronically controls the level of boost, I've got 2 settings; 0.6 bar and 0.8 bar. I use 0.6 bar for most of my daily driving and especially in the warmer weather as I'm still running the stock cooler (I've got a Trust front mount on its way). I only run 0.8bar mainly at night when its much colder. I cant stress how important it is to back off the engine if you've got it on a high boost setting and you hear detonation (it sounds like something rattling in the engine, like marbles) cos if you keep your foot buried you'll be rebuilding that engine :)

Rob

thats what im affraid of and whats keeping me from running more boost on mine as i cant really afford to be rebuilding the engine.

I get my boost guage this week and will also get a bleed valve... i want to run about 9 - 11psi until my GTR FMIC gets here from Japan.

At present the only mods i have are a POD Filter, CAT Back and Re-mapped ECU.

You had temperature gauges measuring intake temps and correct engine temps? Just because you cant hear detonation doesnt mean it isnt happening. I think anyone running their turbo'd car on more than stock boost with the factory intercooler on a hot day (30+) is crazy.

Rob

definately take it easy on a hot day... alternatively you can do other things to reduce intake temps (the main thing causing detonation on your setup) by installing a cold air partition for the pod filter

i cant see how anyone would really want to thrash it on a 30degree day, so nice for cruising!

Intake air temp on a hot day on the move is usually around 40-43degrees. Sitting in the staging lanes on Wed night it was running 55-63degrees at the end of the 1/4 mile it was back down to 42 degrees. A bit of a burn out brings it down from around 50-55 to 45

slayer, over 12psi on the stock cooler is bad news. I used to drive around with 10psi without a s-afc, and there was no getting past the slump in power (not boost) at 5000rpm. Some ppl don't have the same problem, though. Seems every R33 ecu reacts differently.

Originally posted by rob77

(I've got a Trust front mount on its way)

rob77, whats the trust fmic gonna set you back, including fitting and piping?

Unsure yet cos it hasnt landed and the workshop is unsure what price they paid for it. When I ordered it the exchange rate was 1aud to 64yen, when it shipped (about 1.5-2 months later) it was 1aud to 68-69yen. Plus you got GST and import duty. Plus it was there 2nd dearest kit for a R33 gts25t, the dearest one includes a intake plenum so that the return pipes can come up the right hand side of the engine. Just the intake plenum is about $1500.

Rob

if u got a turbo smart 2 stage controller!

hell yeah there r boost spikes, and with the stock cooler boost is all over the show when at 12psi!

I know coz i got the same setup and when gettin my s-afc tuned it dont hold boost properly through the rev range!

EBC here i come!