SAU Community

twin plate vs big single plate

ricknismo

Have had a 5 puck brass button single plate (meant to hold alot of power) and currently have HKS twin plate.

The single was a bastard to drive, and ended up blowing the clips off it and smashing the pressure plate into 7 pieces...

The HKS is very friendly to drive (unlike any other comments I have heard) UNTIL you get some heat into it, then its an absolute bitch and grabs like all buggery (good though).

My experience with a single wasnt friendly, so I am leaning towards the twin plates. That said though, I believe its Jim Berry clutches who can do amazing things with a single plate and still keep it very driveable. Worth checking out, when this twin wears out I will definately be talking to them before I automatically go and rebuild the twin.

i had a 2500lb jim berry in my 33 gts-t and it lasted a while under some pretty harsh punishment. I have an extreme clutch (I think, which ever one's Kaos racing supplies) 3000lb pressure plate in my 33 GTR V-spec and it seems better than the jim berry one was to drive around in, it's not so on and off. as for the twin plates my wifes got one in her 32 GTR and it is pretty nice to drive with, gives a real strong feel but it's not real bitey and doesn't seem to fade if your giving it a few heavy starts. The only thing I could say rick is that your spreading that power over more surface area so it will last longer, that's my guess anyway, any other idea's peoples?

i had a 2500lb jim berry in my 33 gts-t and it lasted a while under some pretty harsh punishment.  I have an extreme clutch (I think, which ever one's Kaos racing supplies) 3000lb pressure plate in my 33 GTR V-spec and it seems better than the jim berry one was to drive around in, it's not so on and off.  as for the twin plates my wifes got one in her 32 GTR and it is pretty nice to drive with, gives a real strong feel but it's not real bitey and doesn't seem to fade if your giving it a few heavy starts.  The only thing I could say rick is that your spreading that power over more surface area so it will last longer, that's my guess anyway, any other idea's peoples?

Hi Drew;

is the one in the 32 GTR Extreme also?

Cheers

twin plate = more surface area = less clamping load required for equal amount of torque it can handle compared to a single plate which will require more clamping load to make up for its smaller surface area

in short for same torque handling capabilities, the twin plate wont be so 'on - off' compared to an equally rated single plate

what are the advantages of a twin plate over a single plate given they are rated at the same hp??? :bs!:

just some things to consider:

single plates can be on/off and bitey OR user friendly.

twin plates can be on/off and bitey OR user friendly.

many factors effect how the clutch bites, but mainly puck/plate material (organic, brass, ceramic) and type of plate (sprung or solid/unsprung centres). So you can see how a single plate unsprung brass button clutch could be a biatch compared to a twin plate sprung centre, an how a twin plate unsprung clutch would be less user friendly than a single organic or a ceramic one. Theres also the pressure plate to consider.

In my opinion in a RWD car a good single plate will be sufficient in 90% of applications. The other 10% may include really big power and sticky tyres. Advantages are a single plate will be cheaper to rebuild, plus theres no reason why it shouldnt be streetable and relatively easy to use.

(ahh but you are 4wd, def use a good twin plate!)

NB the UAS 300zx ran 10's with drag radials and a $600 single plate clutch!

its a good thing to load up before dumping and gassing. Your not just loading the clutch but your also taking the slack out of the driveline so that when you dump it the driveline is taught and you dont risk breaking things as much.

My single extreme 9 puk ceramic is a bit of a pain in the arse.

It doesn't like to be rode. If I do it will give you two thumps in the back and still manage to chirp the wheels. Its a real pain in the arse when police are around.

I am glad I didn't go with this clutch when I had the 2ltr. It would have been a real pain in the arse to drive. The 3ltr at least will pick up and go after you have almost stalled it while trying not to chirp the wheels.

Darren has an OS Giken twin plate (I am 95% sure it is) and I must say it is very very nice. Very grabby but there is not the shudder like I get with mine, well at least when I drove it.

Guest two.06l
I believe its Jim Berry clutches who can do amazing things with a single plate and still keep it very driveable. Worth checking out, when this twin wears out I will definately be talking to them before I automatically go and rebuild the twin.

a wise move , i must say!

My single extreme 9 puk ceramic is a bit of a pain in the arse.

It doesn't like to be rode. If I do it will give you two thumps in the back and still manage to chirp the wheels. Its a real pain in the arse when police are around.

I am glad I didn't go with this clutch when I had the 2ltr. It would have been a real pain in the arse to drive. The 3ltr at least will pick up and go after you have almost stalled it while trying not to chirp the wheels.

Darren has an OS Giken twin plate (I am 95% sure it is) and I must say it is very very nice. Very grabby but there is not the shudder like I get with mine, well at least when I drove it.

Hi Joel,

Just wondering if your ceramic unit is the same as the cushioned ceramic kits they sell at

www.horsepowerinabox.com

I'll be getting a clutch kit over the next few weeks so am interested too.

Definately don't want anything that's a bitch to drive though.

Has anyone else driven with a cushioned ceramic clutch?

what power are you after?

they arent a high hp clutch,i dont care what they say.

id forget it if you have over 200rwkw.

look at the springs in the centre,they allow the clutch to "slip" in reference to the spline.

if you have any sort of power the springs spend most of their time fully compressed and lose their spring rate.a heavier sprung clutch will have 1 spring, 1 rubber all the way around.

the rubber adds stabilty to the sprung centre.

as changing clutches isnt most peoples idea of a good time i seriously recommend getting a really good one that will support lots more than the power you currently have.

dont end up like i did pulling my brand new "performance" clutch out only to find its absolutely rooted and i just wasted $600

gtst25.

I got my clutch from the horsepowerinabox previous owner Tim Possingham.

It cost me $600 even which was a fairly good deal as I have known him for quite some time.

The same clutch is being run in a few cars, one supra making 318rwkw & whatsisnames R33 making at one stage 299.1rwkw then it went down to 260rwkw then back up to around 280rwkw. Its held so far so good. I think it also comes down to your driving style.

Both of the cars mentioned making high power are driven nicely. No big clutch dumps or gear slaps. Making that sort of power you wouldn't really want to be slapping gears around anyhow.

I think it also has a lot to do with the flywheel you use with the clutch.

The clutch plate looks slightly different to the one in the pic (the puks being smaller on mine)

I think this is the same as the one I am running.

Mine is a 1 tonne clutch. Unsure if this is but. The pedal is very heavy.

Too heavy to sit with your foot on it, and flex's the flywall quite a bit.

I am thinking of making up a bit of a spacer to distrubute the load over a larger surface area. :cheers:

http://www.horsepowerinabox.com/HPIAB2/prod137.htm

Its not to bad I suppose, it is most definately streetable but can be a pain in the arse in peak hour traffic but launching and driving hard it is quite nice to drive.

I'll post a couple of pics.

Thanks Joel,

I'll do some more looking around when I'm home in 3 weeks.

It's a bit hard over here in cold England!

I don't go dumping the clutch or anything - problem is it's on the way out and with all my new parts I'm expecting just over 200rwkw.

Twin plates are so expensive - but I want the car to be driveable for my wife too....

Mods on the horison should give over 250rwkw so I want something substantial.

Looks like your clutch can definatly handle that though.