SAU Community

What are symptoms of coil pack failure?

LANFOH

G'day,

My car has just recently been doing something not normal, was wondering if anybody could help. If Im in a high gear such as 4th or 5th and plant my foot from 2000 rpm the revs will go up and the car will slowly accelerate, when boost comes on the car will rev hard but the car wont accelerate at the same as the revs. My car is running standard boost. I think it may be something to do with spark or my coilpacks are getting old.

Does anybody know the symptoms of worn coilpacks and does this sound correct?

the car will rev hard but the car wont accelerate at the same as the revs

You may need to re-word that, sounds like something is slipping in the drive train.

failing coil packs - can result in misfiring (more likely at high RPM), crapy idle, loss in power.

Strange, have you noticed a change in the other gears?

Miss firing is the most common outcome from a faulty coil pack...

But on my last skyline.... A faulty coil pack and a busted bleed valve melted a piston....

Coil pack in 6th cyl failed.... Bleed valve had crap stuck in it... can went 30psi+ 6th filled with fuel and then the coil pack fired.... Blew the exhaust manifold off and bent the intake vavle when the piston came back up... With direct exposure to air the piston which was super hot at this stage cracked and no matter how fast you turn the key off the piston traveled a few more times rounding the edges...

OK this is worst case..... But hey you could hit a pole... so this is not really a problem is it?

LOL...

Ok, Start the engine with the top cover removed....

Disconnect 1st coil pack... then plug it back in... If the idle dies and then recovers its not 1st.

Now repeat this process all the way to the back...

Until you hit a coil pack that when unpluged makes no difference... Theres ya faulty one...

Ok... i re-read your post... Id say not a coil pack....

If revs are high but not going anywhere... Could be 2 things...

1. Clutch slipping

2. Timing

You would know if ya clutch was stuffed cause you wouldnt be able to take off from a stand still properly.... Id say its timing.... its far too retarded....

Remember you computer retards the timing as nessary... Ie. When under load....

Disconnect your battery over night to reset the ECU... Try again the next day...

If this goes on... Then get a mate with the same car and borrow his/her CAS and ECU.

Swap them over and try again.... Im sure this is your issue...

Ok... i re-read your post... Id say not a coil pack....

If revs are high but not going anywhere... Could be 2 things...

1. Clutch slipping

2. Timing

You would know if ya clutch was stuffed cause you wouldnt be able to take off from a stand still properly.... Id say its timing.... its far too retarded....

Remember you computer retards the timing as nessary... Ie. When under load....

Disconnect your battery over night to reset the ECU... Try again the next day...

If this goes on... Then get a mate with the same car and borrow his/her CAS and ECU.

Swap them over and try again.... Im sure this is your issue...

Thanks for the info mate will try and reset the ecu tonight as I know it is not the clutch. It seems strange though as it happens on and off and mainlyu in the high gears ie 4 th and 5th.

Does it seem to happen more often after the car has been driven for a while?

I am assuming a clutch problem. Col-GTSX said you would feel it from takeoff but not really if its only just starting to show problems.

Its happening in the higher gears as thats when its under a big load.

Next time it happens, pull over and pull up the handbrake tight and put it into 5th gear. Then try to take off in fifth with the handbrake on. If it DOESNT stall then you need a new clutch. ( or adjust the one you have if it can be and if there is any meat left )

I think it sounds like a clutch as well.

I have had coil pack problems.

it was easy to pick because my car sounded like a WRX, and face it, no one wants that.

On startup and idle, it would fire on 5 cylinders and the note of the exhaust was changed (sounded like a wrx)

sometimes it would be fine and happen when driving, but there was no hard and fast rule as to when the coil pack would stop working.

With you though, your saying it happens in 4th/5th when you load it up, it revvs higher but doesnt go faster... that definitely sounds like a clutch issue to me.

When was the last time the clutch was replaced?

Unfortunately there is only one true way to see how worn your clutch is...

Thanks heaps for all your replies will keep you posted about progress. I have spoken to a few peolple and you guys are right it seems to be the clutch starting to give way. The engine still purs like a ***** and definitely doesnt sound like a wrx, however I thought that you would feel the clutch slipping in the lowers gears aswell but I dont really know as I have never had clutch problems in any of my cars.

Thanks again. :)

Yes thats right - an rb running on 5 cylinders sounds like a wrx :cheers: i find that amusing..

And to second everyone else, when a coilpack dies (or even semi dies) it starts to misfire that cylinder ,as no spark is being generated.

I found that while my coilpacks (2 now) were still only half dead, they'd start to fail in higher gears, such as doing 100kph in 5th, but if i dropped it back a gear and gave it some stick it would come good, (for a few seconds). probably not the smartest thing to do:)

Im pretty sure you need a new clutch. mine only slipped in 4th and 5th. Usually when it started to boost. It showed no other symptoms. It kinda reved up then died back down a little on full throttle. If in doubt just take it to a clutch place. Get them to diagnose it and if it is the clutch get whoever you know to put a new one in

• 2 months later...

do you guys have any idea what the compatability is for skyline clutches, the only ones I have found are at least twin disc, and are well over a grand, I cant afford a clutch that can handle 500+ hp, but I dont plan on hitting that anyway... yet, of course. If your wondering about the (hp) thing, yes I am an american:)